Geography Syllabus Guide 2018

Daryl Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, christopherwch said:

Wait. Is the geo syllabus only for exams until 2017? I thought it was meant to be used for 7 years till 2018, when i will also be taking the exam. Though i may be mistaken

Normally IB would release a new syllabus for a particular subject every 7 years. However, as far as I know, it seems that the release of the next geography syllabus has been postponed by one year, which means that the current syllabus (linked by Daryl Ryan) will last all the way to the end of 2018. And the new syllabus will have May 2019 as its the first examination session. So don't worry. You're not mistaken.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vioh said:

Normally IB would release a new syllabus for a particular subject every 7 years. However, as far as I know, it seems that the release of the next geography syllabus has been postponed by one year, which means that the current syllabus (linked by Daryl Ryan) will last all the way to the end of 2018. And the new syllabus will have May 2019 as its the first examination session. So don't worry. You're not mistaken.

IB assumes teacher starts in September for May examinations so a new syllabus would have to be published in next 2-3 weeks. I was looking at records from recent IB regional conferences and was trying to get a confirmation that the course will be postponed. In 2016 Conference of the Americas they did mention some postponement of other courses but not Geography. I think what @Vioh said is a valid assumption, and I will take look at the AEM conference notes when they are released to confirm the suspicion. [EDIT: It does appear the most reasoning explanation is that they will continue to use the current syllabus.]

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

IB assumes teacher starts in September for May examinations so a new syllabus would have to be published in next 2-3 weeks. I was looking at records from recent IB regional conferences and was trying to get a confirmation that the course will be postponed. In 2016 Conference of the Americas they did mention some postponement of other courses but not Geography. I think what @Vioh said is a valid assumption. That means however that @Daryl Ryan you can't choose Geography as a DP subject if it's not offered. I will take look at the AEM conference notes when they are released to confirm the suspicion. 

I actually got the information from my old geography teacher. He says that the IB needs a little more time to get the new syllabus ready. Besides, if May 2018 is the first examination session for the new syllabus, then that new syllabus should have already been released in early 2016, such that teachers could have proper training and familiarity with the new syllabus. But so far, nobody has seen the new syllabus yet. If the release has been postponed by 1 year, I think we can probably expect it to be released in some time around early 2017.

• Like 1