Extended Essay Literature, help

studentab

I'm starting to write my extended essay and I want to do it on a book but I have no idea how to go about it. 

I know I want to do it on an in depth study of a theme in a literary work. The examples online are lacking at best and none fit what I want to do, does that mean I am offtrack/wrong? 

I want to do it on Peter and Wendy or Alice in Wonderland, explore the underlying messages of childhood innocence, wonder, naivety or imagination through an analysis of techniques and metaphors.

Any help/ideas?

These are classics and the general areas of investigation you mention are well-trodden. However, if you have done your homework and have something a little different to offer (for example, all that has been said about imagery in Alice in Wonderland misses X factor) then you would be offering something original and contributing to the critical debate.

Comparing one aspect of these two classics may give you just that opportunity: but with two works, and the relatively tight wordcount for this major assignment, you'll have to present a good, tight argument within the space given over for this assignment.

What could a comparison look like? 

Well, for example:  Do these authors share exactly the same conception of "imagination"? If not, then you have a basis for a good research topic.  Or, if they do share similar ideas of the importance of imagination, perhaps they convey it very differently in their works. What is the effect  and consequences of that for readers? Discussing that would be interesting too. 

What examiners want to see is YOUR handling of this idea and material:  aim for a topic where a reader will hear your voice.  The trouble is, that no one can tell you what topics or aspects will do that for you. You need to to research and a lot of thinking of your own. Suggesting a topic and aspect for you will be counter-productive, as a good EE will start with your own (passionate) enquiry based on an initial hunch, then pursuit of an idea.

You've seen the range of EE topics already written in the past few years. That should give you some idea of what is possible. Don't look only for "what fits what I want to do" which is an indication that you are looking for someone else to take that first and most crucial step for you. 

Read around. Read lots. As you do so, note down anything that catches your attention or causes you to linger: those are good moments and can turn into avenues of enquiry.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 3