Language A requirements

Hi!

I am an Indonesian national but although I am able to speak Indonesian fluently and speak it as a language spoken at home, I might not be able to write as well due to the grammar conventions and I rarely read Indonesian language books. Is it required for me to take Language A Indonesian to apply to any universities around the world?

I don't think you need to. It'll net you a Bilingual Diploma, which is pretty awesome but unless you want to study to be a linguist/literary expert in the language, I doubt you need to take the subject. Some of my friends who are born and raised in Indonesia take Indonesian B and still receive a lot of offers from universities worldwide. Not even once did my university guidance counselor suggested to me to take Indonesian A (I took it for the first 3 terms in DP and got abysmally poor grades in it, but that's just me :D )

I have to agree with IB'ez. It's not necessary to take your first language as Language A. It is cool to get Bilingual Diploma (I got it haha) but it doesn't do anything I guess. It is easier to take Indonesian B (especially if that is your mother tongue, surely you can get 7 easily). I took Indonesian A because I love it and my other friends were forced to get Indonesian A because they didn't have any other choice. It's okay if you rarely read Indonesian books. Most of my friends got 6 in Indonesian A SL. You just have to be diligent and read more from now on :) 

But yeah it will be a 'waste of subject' as for studying in Singapore, I have already picked up Chinese and a bilingual diploma would mean nothing for applying for engineering. They do offer Indonesian B in my school (with 'bule' teachers) but I am not sure whether if it's useful for engineering for having two language Bs.

I have to say that it would be better if you're taking both Physics HL and Chemistry HL if you want to take engineering.  Well yes, taking 2 Language Bs would make your score higher but in my opinion, 2 language Bs would be useless. It may not make your life easier but engineering universities would prefer students with Physics HL and Chemistry HL rather than 2 Language Bs.

Edited by rhapsodysiscaa
  • Like 1