Richard Stifler

Hey guys,

I was hoping to pursue a career as a writer. I have written a few sketches myself and even at school, I mean everyone points out that I should write a few stuff, eventually, even if not as a "real" career.

So, I was hoping to take a Law degree. I would like to live in the US, though I would like to start off at the UK, for example, take a degree and thus, if possible, go to the US to make a living. The problem is if I take Law in London, lets say, I won't be able to practice law in the US, right? Or can I take a post graduation in american law?

Also, do you think that in the middle of the degree I can do an erasmus or something to the US? Or be a writer in the US? Do writers in the US get well paid? What about lawyers?

Can you please help me out in this dilemma?

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by Richard Stifler
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Keep it simple, if you're interested in writing pursue it in university don't take such a swing at something like law, you could end up hating it and having to restart uni all over again. Follow your heart dude. Going to uni in the U.K. Will be hard for an international students as you cannot take out loans and the fees are ludicrous. Get some help from a mutual viewer who has knowledge such as a careers advisor at school.

Also, something to consider is that one needn't be professional nor even published to write things. For some people, they really want to be published and that's great. You can work in law if that's what you want to do and you can also write in your free time and attempt to get your best pieces published. Working a job and writing aren't mutually exclusive. Writing is not usually financially lucrative–both in the U.S. and U.K.–nor does it have great job security, and thus many people who write work "real" jobs while writing. Writers do not need to be professional writers.

I'm afraid I'm not at all knowledgeable about anything regarding practicing law and how the different legal systems interact.

Regards.

• Like 1