Studying in the UK?

Richard Stifler

Hello there fellows,

I am currently in the beginning of my 2nd year and I was planning to go study in the UK, though I am in a dilemma as to what what degree I should take. On the one hand, Law would be great, on the other hand I would also like to take something related to Literature or Arts, since I want to become a writer. However, english is not my native language, so being a writer in the UK or taking a degree in Literature would be harder for me than for other fellow british students.

I have to get in touch with the universities now in September, so I am a little bit anxious with this.

What do you think it would be better to study in the UK? Literature/Arts or Law? Would law in the UK still allow me to eventually move, for example, to the US? Do you happen to know very good colleges for each of the two areas mentioned? If so, which ones?

Feel free to...  

Hiya! 
so how it works in the Uk is you can pretty do any subject and do a Law conversion course its a one year course so its worth looking into that if you have no idea. As for english lit the best universities are in the Russell Group unis pretty much the Ivy leagues of the Uk (http://russellgroup.ac.uk/). As the Uk has a lot of students abroad they do make it so its fair but if you are doing HL English Lit you should be fine. There also is a possibility to do both subjects so I know Glasgow does Law and English Literature. if you go onto UCAS (https://www.ucas.com/) and search for undergrad degrees and type in the sujects you are intrested in it should list the Unis that do whichever course you are looking for. (also for doing the IB exeter college is really good for international students and the staff are really good :) )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katsooty said:

Hiya! 
so how it works in the Uk is you can pretty do any subject and do a Law conversion course its a one year course so its worth looking into that if you have no idea. As for english lit the best universities are in the Russell Group unis pretty much the Ivy leagues of the Uk (http://russellgroup.ac.uk/). As the Uk has a lot of students abroad they do make it so its fair but if you are doing HL English Lit you should be fine. There also is a possibility to do both subjects so I know Glasgow does Law and English Literature. if you go onto UCAS (https://www.ucas.com/) and search for undergrad degrees and type in the sujects you are intrested in it should list the Unis that do whichever course you are looking for. (also for doing the IB exeter college is really good for international students and the staff are really good :) )

Hello there!

A Law conversion course? Wow I had never heard of it. Does it allow me to, for example, to take Law (normal degree) in the UK and then take a Law conversion course and go to the USA? I mean the british law is unique, so...

I am sorry, I am not an english native speaker and I don't live in any english speaking country, so I must confess I got a lot of question marks on what you said :)

What are the Ivy League Universities? Are like the "best" elite universities? Like the ones like Oxford and Cambridge, or Harvard and Yale..?

I am not attending English Lit HL, I am attending English B but still the prob is that I want to be the best writer possible, like being able to play with words and adjectives, so that I could make elegant descriptions. In my native language, I guess I am able to do that, but in english I am not only not gonna be as ingenious as that and also my vocabulary won't be as good as it is in my native language. And as a consequence I will always feel that I could do better and that I am going to be far behind other english writers... but writing honestly will be one of my "occupations", if not the only one.

As to the courses, what you are saying is that I can take a certain course and still attend other subjects from another distinct course? Is that possible? Cause I don't really believe there is an English Lit and Law degree...

Could you elucidate me? Thank you,

Richard  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Richard Stifler said:

Hello there!

A Law conversion course? Wow I had never heard of it. Does it allow me to, for example, to take Law (normal degree) in the UK and then take a Law conversion course and go to the USA? I mean the british law is unique, so...

I am sorry, I am not an english native speaker and I don't live in any english speaking country, so I must confess I got a lot of question marks on what you said :)

What are the Ivy League Universities? Are like the "best" elite universities? Like the ones like Oxford and Cambridge, or Harvard and Yale..?

I am not attending English Lit HL, I am attending English B but still the prob is that I want to be the best writer possible, like being able to play with words and adjectives, so that I could make elegant descriptions. In my native language, I guess I am able to do that, but in english I am not only not gonna be as ingenious as that and also my vocabulary won't be as good as it is in my native language. And as a consequence I will always feel that I could do better and that I am going to be far behind other english writers... but writing honestly will be one of my "occupations", if not the only one.

As to the courses, what you are saying is that I can take a certain course and still attend other subjects from another distinct course? Is that possible? Cause I don't really believe there is an English Lit and Law degree...

Could you elucidate me? Thank you,

Richard  

I'm not sure how it would work in the USA, since like you said the laws in Britain are different this might give you more info about the course: (http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/law-conversion-course

Yeah Ivy Leagues are the best of the best but also you need the most points so I think the lowest is maybe 32 points and then it goes up to 40 for Cambridge and Oxford.

As for the combined subject here is the UCAS page where it has more info: (http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/735375/lawenglish-literature?Vac=5&AvailableIn=2017&Query=Law and English Literature&IsFeatherProcessed=True&ret=providers) so its basically a joint degree you do a little of both but I am not entirely sure how the syllabus works. 

I'm also not sure how English B works Im sorry! you might have to contact the universities and if they require higher maybe do an IELTS course? Not sure on that one. You can do Spanish or French as a subject at uni also so Spanish and English lit that sort of thing. 

:) hope this helps a bit x

Hiya!

As someone currently practising Law in the UK, I think I can help expand on some of the excellent information that katsooty has provided above.

It doesn't really matter if you choose Law or Creative Writing/Literature for your degree if you want to eventually become a lawyer.  50% (or more) of incoming lawyers in the UK have non-law degrees and have done the law conversion course.

If English is something you're worried about - that is something that would be an equally valid concern with a Law degree in the UK.  It is a very taxing and demanding course that revolves around the interpretation of language to arrive at conclusions that argue a point one way or another.  I would say that familiarity and confidence with the English language is just as important to read Law in the UK as it is to study Literature.

English B is usually enough to apply for Law courses throughout the UK - you won't need to do any English language tests like IELTS with English B - so nothing to worry about there.  But if that is something that concerns you, ring up the admissions offices of the universities that you're interested in applying to and ask them if English B would suffice.

You would not be able to practice in the US with a UK law degree.  Law degrees are not easily transferrable.  If you obtained a UK law degree, and would like to then practise in the US, you would ideally have to do an LLM at a US university and then sit the Bar exam for the state you would like to practise in.  Should you pass the Bar, you would then be eligible to practise.

Hope that helps! :)

• Like 2

On 15 de Agosto de 2016 at 10:55 PM, katsooty said:

I'm not sure how it would work in the USA, since like you said the laws in Britain are different this might give you more info about the course: (http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/law-conversion-course

Yeah Ivy Leagues are the best of the best but also you need the most points so I think the lowest is maybe 32 points and then it goes up to 40 for Cambridge and Oxford.

As for the combined subject here is the UCAS page where it has more info: (http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/735375/lawenglish-literature?Vac=5&AvailableIn=2017&Query=Law and English Literature&IsFeatherProcessed=True&ret=providers) so its basically a joint degree you do a little of both but I am not entirely sure how the syllabus works. 

I'm also not sure how English B works Im sorry! you might have to contact the universities and if they require higher maybe do an IELTS course? Not sure on that one. You can do Spanish or French as a subject at uni also so Spanish and English lit that sort of thing. 

:) hope this helps a bit x

Woah, someone who is studying Law! I have a wide range of college options, which includes London School of Economics. I am currently with 29 points, although I got in the IB at the end of the 1st year and I didn't almost have time to recover the past themes on the subjects. I virtually did one mock exam for each subjects, hence do you think I can get to the 30's and get in Law?

As to Creative Writing, do you recommend it? Is it something auspicious for a stable and commode life in the UK?