Tips&Tricks for passing IB with flying colours

FunkyBlue

Hi there!

I'm wondering if you guys have any tips, tricks or revision books you have used for following subjects: 

Chemistry HL, Math HL, Physics SL & Psychology SL; 

I really need to work hard, and I want as much help as possible - hopefully to help me achieve 7's in them. Any help you guys could offer would be much appreciated!!  

Cheers for the help :) 

You will hate me for my answer and believe it or not, I'm not (entirely) joking.

At least for the first three courses, you need to be resourceful and tenacious (I know because I took them). If you want to succeed in them, you can't expect everything to be laid out for you. So applying that logic, you should at least do a search on this forum before you ask for tips or revision books. If you know how to use your resources, you'll do well. I didn't buy any textbooks or IB guides and did well, for these three subjects. If you don't develop the right mindset, there is a chance you may not succeed even if you purchase every paper from past 10 years and all the IB guides. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

I don't hate you. You didn't give me a reason to. However, I find it a little bit annoying that you presume I didn't already research my stuff (or other topics). I did. The problem is, that on some websites I've been to, the titles of the books they recommend are not clear enough for me to find them. Therefore, I hoped to get a more concrete answer here... 

Anyhow, thanks. :)

Hi, I can`t speak from personal experience because I`m entering the DP next year, but I picked up a few pointers on doing well in HL Chem.

For HL Chemistry many people recommend the Richard Thornley videos on YouTube. Also, over the summer, I`ve been using an Oxford Chemistry study guide by Geoffrey Neuss to study over the summer. Although there`s not much detail, it does a pretty good job at outlining the most important info. I think it's a good resource to look at if you`re making study notes. Then again, I haven't had a chance to try other study guides yet, so I can't say this one is the absolute best.

All of your other subjects aren't offered at my school, so I can't say much about them.

These tips may seem generic, but they are words of wisdom from the HL Chem teacher (and she knows her stuff):

• Read ahead, so it's easier to follow the lessons in class
  • Review your notes a little bit every night - I tried this and it significantly reduces the frequency of cramming sessions
  • For any memorization: condense your notes onto a blank sheet of paper and post them where you look often (i.e. bedroom wall) so you can skim over them, for example, as you do your chores or are talking on the phone
  • Stay healthy! Eat well, workout, and get enough sleep. I know Math and chem HL require critical thinking skills. You can't think critically if your mind is numb!

Hope this helps a bit!

Edited by IBGeek
  • Like 2