Engineering at Oxford Uni with a 6 from Math HL possible?

maturk

Hey

I'm deciding where to apply to uni for 2017 term. A year ago I was really hoping to achieve good grades so that I could apply to Oxford University for their Engineering course; however, now that I finished the IB I'm second guessing my self. I got 43 points with 776 at my HLs BUT I got a 6 from Math HL. I just couldn't manage the work load at the end and there were huge issues with teaching at my school throughout the two years of IB :( (only one person has managed to get a 7 in my school and that was three years ago LOL) On Oxford's website they say that they require 7s from both mathematics and physics higher level. So, does that mean I don't have any chance? 

Cheers!

p.s. I'm taking a gap year for the army if anyone is wondering why I didn't apply earlier. 

Don't worry, you still have a good chance! Your score is beyond impressive, you're in the top 3% or so of all IB students and you got 776 in your HLs. Just write a killer Personal Statement and from what I've heard, Oxford understands that not all schools are equal and you're asked if your school held you back in any way (not 100% sure, but in any case you could have your referee mention it). You are academically exceptional, I think that's what the top unis are looking for. ;) Good luck!!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 22 August 2016 at 0:58 AM, maturk said:

Hey

I'm deciding where to apply to uni for 2017 term. A year ago I was really hoping to achieve good grades so that I could apply to Oxford University for their Engineering course; however, now that I finished the IB I'm second guessing my self. I got 43 points with 776 at my HLs BUT I got a 6 from Math HL. I just couldn't manage the work load at the end and there were huge issues with teaching at my school throughout the two years of IB :( (only one person has managed to get a 7 in my school and that was three years ago LOL) On Oxford's website they say that they require 7s from both mathematics and physics higher level. So, does that mean I don't have any chance? 

Cheers!

p.s. I'm taking a gap year for the army if anyone is wondering why I didn't apply earlier. 

Hey, I'm a gap year student too. But doesn't Oxbridge require extenuating circumstances for taking a gap year and applying later?