Am I suitable for Math HL?

stim

This year will be my first year doing IB and I'm trying to choose my subjects. The university I want to get in requires Math HL and I want to study economics. (even if it wasn't required, it's still a good impression to take Math HL.) I have never been a math genius. With studying the night before my math exam, I'd get a score between 70-90 but I would ask A LOT of questions to my tutor... 

This year, I will study hard and regularly. But everyone on internet says that Math HL is like hell so I'm scared of ruining my life by choosing something I can't do... I like Math when I study, it's just that I don't understand as fast as a math genius...

What should I do?

Hey!

So what I would do (and they tell every single student who wants to take HL Maths in our school to do this) is to take 4 HLs so that you can drop HL Maths if it's too difficult. At our school there is a 75% drop-out percentage from HL maths so it's definitely not an easy course but there's nothing to say you can't be one of the ones who make it!

I say go for it and in case it doesn't work, just drop it and spend more time and energy on your other courses. :) 

@stim It's good you are asking a lot of questions! If Math HL is a pre-req than you have to take it. You have to first understand if Math HL currently pose a challenge because of your general study skills, or the pace/content of the course. I can't tell, because it sounds like you both previously study only night before and actively ask questions. @MikhailS took Further Maths so he can say HL is easy, but what I think he was trying to say is that once you practice enough model problems, you can get the hang of it, at least cruise through Part A and manage most of Part B. To some people who are still developing their study skills, Math HL is difficult because it is not a course your can study just night before and hope for the best. With regular time spent daily, it's very feasible to cover the entire syllabus in two years and score well.