Advice for IB1 students?

imosz

I'm starting IB1 TOMORROW and I skipped the pre-IB year, does anyone have advice for beginning the IB?

My subjects are:

English HL, Biology HL, Physics HL

Chemistry SL, Arabic SL and Mathematics SL

Honestly this website is terrifying me as I think I'm starting to realize what I've gotten myself into.

Don't stress in the beginning going into the IB, it would seem stressful (at least it was for me) at first with all the new works that you have to do. Just perform the tasks asked of you and check the grading criteria for major assignments. Lastly, all suffering IB students are here so if you ever need refuge... it's here. Good luck in your first year! 

• Like 3

Hi there,

IB year 1 can be very intimidating; but don't worry. Your teachers will gradually lead you into the program. Especially in my school, we were given plenty of support in the first few months of the program, to ensure that we could start strong footed; and just as Birsu said, you can reside here if you have any questions regarding the IB and stuff. 

I'm sure you'll do great, ps: if the website is scaring you, don't look at it. Just Chill this afternoon, go outside, play a game ect. Your school will worry about the details, just do what your teachers tell you to do and it will be fine. 

Good luck!!! :D

• Like 1

Hi bro, I am the first year of IB too. I dont have much experience but I know you can delete all of your computer games and stop chit chating on facebook and twitter. It really works because there are many times that you will study on computer and this will help you to concentrate, if you cant concentrate during IB study, then it will be hard and painful to you.(Personal opinion)

On 23 de Agosto de 2016 at 1:13 PM, imosz said:

I'm starting IB1 TOMORROW and I skipped the pre-IB year, does anyone have advice for beginning the IB?

My subjects are:

English HL, Biology HL, Physics HL

Chemistry SL, Arabic SL and Mathematics SL

Honestly this website is terrifying me as I think I'm starting to realize what I've gotten myself into.

Hey pal,

I didnt do my Pre IB either and I got in the IB in the middle of the 1st year (I decided to get out of national system and sign in the IB in the middle of the academic year). So yeh I was screwed and I was terrified just like you. My class had already lectured half of the course, cause in my school the pre IB is fundamental, and subjects such as Economics, ESS and Maths I didn't take them when I was in national school. I spent all of my 1st year studying and doing IAs just like the others, despite I was totally in disadvantage. But here I am now I am comfortable I am doing my EE in Film which I didn't take either and there are only 2 IAs missing which isn't that much. What I tell you, that is key!!, is in your situation you have to be a fast learner. You have to go on the guides you have to try to comprehend the IB "philosophy" and how the courses work, mate. Try to be prolific and above all when you are working you are working. Focus and proactivity is key in here. You can have fun also, less than others but you can, but try not to disrupt your study when you are concentrated. The subjects you will get easily in depth with them, the Ias and EE and TOK at the beginning may be a lil bit strange for you. Good luck and never think of establishing grade limits for your work. You may start with 29 points or less. But you have two years to go, so the 40 points aren't that distant.

Cheers, I am glad I was a good psychological help.   

• 1 month later...
  • mac117 locked this topic