Hi guys! I've just entered the IB DP1 programme, and I am taking English Lang & Lit HL. I am actually quite surprised with the amount of literature we'll be doing in the course as I'd though it would only cover like 50%. Anyway, I was wondering wether you guys could share some insight on the subject and give some tips on how to score well in it. 

PS.

I'm not a native speaker - it's my second language but I'd say I am nearly fluent.. 

I am also doing another language A (langlit), so bearing that in mind, will the two be too hard to juggle? 

I hardly read that often but I am good at essay writing.. and I am pretty sure I'll find the lang bit very interesting as it's in a way related to sociology - a strong interest of mine. 

Critical score very important

here is how it goes, you use literary devices to help analyze the texts. There's so much too say, but I'll tell you the most important things to help u.

1. Mark your book when you the thoughts you have on a certain part and briefly summarize it on the  on a sticky note.

2. Do journals, in those do your critical thinking or brainstorming of what think of the book

3. There's two types of essays we write a thesis essay or a central assertion essay

assertion essay is without a prompt so basically a commentary and thesis essay is a prompt essay

4. We have to write two types of exam papers a Paper 1 and a paper 2

paper 2 is hardest because you have to cover more things

The externals (Paper 1 and 2) are quite important, however I feel the internals are the most crucial aspect in the course. Lan/Lit is different from your standard English course, in that half of the course deviates from traditional English literature and focuses on media stuff that are quite relevant and familiar in today's world, personally I found that quite interesting.. 

Hardest part would definitely be the IOC.. you gotta speak for 15 mins, critically analyse a passage after 20 minutes of annotating, and that is quite daunting. Of course, good preparation and understanding of the text will go a long way, it really just depends on your nerves on the day, and how well you spew the bs. 

The FOA's and Written Tasks are great opportunities for creativity and good marks, but you need to match the criteria and what the teacher is looking for. Its based on the media stuff of the course. I believe you submit two written tasks if you're doing HL (SL only needs one). I think the rationale is the most important part, and it MUST be in conjunction with the actual text, there really is no leeway for contradictions. Otherwise the sky's the limit!!

Overall the English Lang Lit is an interesting enough course, although I found it quite tedious sometimes (english is not my forte), but it is definitely manageable if you work hard enough, understand the texts, and write good bs. Bear in mind that its often seen as a 'softer' course, compared to Lit, as the number of texts you study in lang lit is half of what they study in Lit.  

Bilingual Diploma sounds fun, I know some people that do both, and they find their native language quite easy, I think its definitely doable as long as you keep on top of everything. good luck :)