Adding Cultural Context in the Written Assignment Main Body

Slifer

Hey everyone,

I'm doing a Written Assignment on The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. After doing the Interactive Oral Presentations and writing my Reflective Statement, I went on and found a topic. The only problem is, after doing some independent research, I realised that the Interactive Orals barely scratched the surface of the aspect of Japanese society my topic concerns. To be more specific, it concerns the role of WWII on Japanese society and how they've come to terms with their role in it. I've read a couple of theses and the reading guide by Jay Rubin, the translator of the copy of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle that I am referring to. Although I've looked at other analytical works concerning this novel, their approaches are for the most part psychoanalytical and utilise the works of Freud and Jung as well as aspects of Buddhism and how these can be related to TWUBC, which isn't the literary aspect I'm focusing on (I'd probably commit suicide if I had to do something like that). What I'm more interested in is the knowledge I have gained from the contextual background they provide about WWII and its effects on Japanese identity and also Haruki Murakami's (the author of TWUBC FYI) own motivations in writing this. What I want to know is if it is okay to cite these things outside of my reflective statement?