HL English literature "self-taught"?

dora95

Hey all,

It's been over a year since I've been here. Unfortunately I didn't get the IB scholarship in the end so I didn't think I'd ever have to post here again.

I've always wanted to study English at a top English university (Oxford/Cambridge, UCL, Durham or Exeter) - this is why I applied for that scholarship in the first place! I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I already have a high school diploma from my former school (I graduated in 2014, but I couldn't take English literature  because this subject doesn't exist in the Hungarian system. After an unsuccessful attempt to do an A-level programme at a college in England, I applied to one of our universities to study English and American studies, hoping that it would prepare me for an MA/MPhil in English literature. However, these two semesters have shown me that this wouldn't be possible because this course is designed for EFL learners and so most of the literature we study is actually GCSE level (I don't want to go into details here.) Long story short, one of my tutors basically told me that if I'm truly serious about studying English, I should apply to a UK university as soon as I can. All I need is a L3 qualification in English literature, but it's proving to be a bit of a challenge to get one. I have one British tutor at university, who studied at Cambridge himself, and he'd be willing to help me prepare. Do you think any IB school would let me take the exam? I never went to an IB school so I'm a bit worried.