Statement of Intent

Alix

I have my first creative assignment due and we have to write a statement of intent except my teacher didnt really explain how to write one.. I'm doing my creative assignment as a critic's review of "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel and was wondering if anyone can tell me what makes a really good statement of intent, what i should add in it?

• Like 1

Hi! My WL2 is also due in a week, and I'm also doing a creative one. The syllabus says this about the statment of intent:

WL Assignment 2b: The Statement of Intent

A statement of intent must immediately precede the body of this type of assignment and must

include a brief explanation of all of the following:

- the work(s) on which the assignment will be based

- the nature of the task to be engaged in, including considerations such as audience,

register, form

- the aspects or elements of the work(s) on which the candidate intends to focus

- how the candidate intends to explore these aspects or elements.

The statement of intent must be included in the wordcount. The length of the statement will

depend on the nature of the piece attempted and should, normally, not exceed 500 words.

However, where the assignment takes the form of a single piece of writing, such as a short

poem, the statement may be longer than the body of the assignment and longer than 500

words. Whatever the length of the assignment itself, the total number of words must be

between 1000 and 1500.

I'm not sure if that helps very much, and our teacher didn't explain it either...

Perhaps someone who has done this before could help us? :)

What you said is right. The statement of intent should explain why your creative piece is important to the work (for example, if it's an extra scene in a play or an extension of one chapter in a book, explain what your piece reveals or clarifies for the audience/reader).

I saw an example of a WL creative piece where someone had rewritten the ending to a book. They only scored a 5, and said that it was because the examiner didn't like their attempt to make the ending less gloomy. So maybe changing the plot of the text isn't a good idea.

A soliloquy would be a good thing to write, because then you can say that you are giving the character a period of reflection that reveals their true thoughts to the reader.

Prequels could work, although then you have to be careful not to make up random information and facts; it should all come from the text. Your tone should try to match the tone of the text, and the style should be copied as far as possible. Then it reads like an authentic piece of literature.

Hey guys,

I too am unsure of how to write a statement of intent?

I'm aware that a couple of you posted some criteria to help us out, but we already recieved that same criteria from our teacher.

Can anyone provide me with an example of a written statement of intent? Or provide me with useful tips?

Thanks a lot.

Hahahah Heeeylo Mahika *African Accent*.. so u decided to join... i love this forum.. im such a dork that i come and check it out lol ok so i started my statement of intent stating that my assignment was on like water for choc by laura esquivel and then explained that i was doing a review. Then, explain the advantages to doing what ur doing (eg why a review is the best way to do the creative assignment) then discuss what moved you in the book so what u will be illuminating in the book, how ur gonna illuminate that, and what stylistic features ur gonna look at or imitate (eg: alliteration, metaphors, hyperboles) all that stuff.. yeeep

My teacher gave us 4 questions that he thought should be answered in the statement of intent:

What work is the task based on? (author, year of publishing etc.)

What will you do? (the nature of your task, form, audience, style and language etc)

Why do you do it? (the aspects you are focusing on and why they are interesting, why do you want to explore this particular aspect)

How do you do it? (how do you bring the particular aspect forward, that style, stylistic devices etc do you use and why did you choose that way?)

Hope this helps!

Edited by beccilini
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hmm, I never worried about it for my creative World Lit. I don't think Statements of Intents necessarily need to have a specific structure, and the content really is common sense. You'll want to mention the work you're writing on, what you intend to do, why, and how. That's it, really. Just guide your reader through your own thought process, when you were writing the creative piece. Write in first person, and as far as I know, it can be slightly informal, just not casual. Aim for about half of the word count with the statement of intent (so 750), unless your creative piece is short. If you can't balance it 50/50, err on the side of having your Statement longer than your Creative piece, but not the other way around.

I'm having similar problems, after writing my creative piece (letter to a director) i was stumped towards the statement of intent, but a lot of silly stuff, first person or second, how to write it, casual or formal, and there are a lot of mixed reviews on it. In searching i found this site, and it helped a bit and linked to "a paper which scored high on 2b"

http://teach.beavton.k12.or.us/~jonathan_stoner/ib/wl/wl2.html

Hope it helps!

--I think It's just a school teachers website, but at least they have access to those IB banks we all want at soo bad!

I'm having similar problems, after writing my creative piece (letter to a director) i was stumped towards the statement of intent, but a lot of silly stuff, first person or second, how to write it, casual or formal, and there are a lot of mixed reviews on it. In searching i found this site, and it helped a bit and linked to "a paper which scored high on 2b"

http://teach.beavton.../ib/wl/wl2.html

Hope it helps!

--I think It's just a school teachers website, but at least they have access to those IB banks we all want at soo bad!

:( That's interesting; the sample my teacher showed our class had a Statement of Intent was was more or less half of the world count (750), and it received full marks. In fact, she emphasized the need to make one's Statement of Intent at least 750 words.

*sigh*

http://teach.beavton.../ib/wl/wl2.html

Hope it helps!

:( That's interesting; the sample my teacher showed our class had a Statement of Intent was was more or less half of the world count (750), and it received full marks. In fact, she emphasized the need to make one's Statement of Intent at least 750 words.

*sigh*

I know they're crazy. mine is about a third of the word count as is, but i wish there we just some hard-fast rules about how to write it.

Its hard to know what is going to get you the high score and what isn't, because the variation is nuts.

Hmm, I never worried about it for my creative World Lit. I don't think Statements of Intents necessarily need to have a specific structure, and the content really is common sense. You'll want to mention the work you're writing on, what you intend to do, why, and how. That's it, really. Just guide your reader through your own thought process, when you were writing the creative piece. Write in first person, and as far as I know, it can be slightly informal, just not casual. Aim for about half of the word count with the statement of intent (so 750), unless your creative piece is short. If you can't balance it 50/50, err on the side of having your Statement longer than your Creative piece, but not the other way around.

I've been told to keep mine 250-500 on a 1000 word script, and in the rubrics, it always says to keep it under 500... unless you're doing a poem, or something short. I'd probably say that the length of the written piece is inversely proportionnal to the statement of intent.

I've been told to keep mine 250-500 on a 1000 word script, and in the rubrics, it always says to keep it under 500... unless you're doing a poem, or something short. I'd probably say that the length of the written piece is inversely proportionnal to the statement of intent.

Yes, this was mentioned above your post. I don't think I'll be bothered to change mine too much to be honest; I neither want nor need to extend my script longer than it currently is.

Edited by Proletariat

I have my first creative assignment due and we have to write a statement of intent except my teacher didnt really explain how to write one.. I'm doing my creative assignment as a critic's review of "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel and was wondering if anyone can tell me what makes a really good statement of intent, what i should add in it?

We actually have the same text for our World Lit 2. If you're doing 2B then it asks for

1) The work that you're basing it on

2) The nature of what you're doing

3) The aspects of the work that you're going to elaborate on

4) How you plan to achieve your goals

All of this should be at around 500 words. But it almost should never exceed 500 words. If you are going to write some short poem or really short story you can exceed the 500 words. But other than that it should be around 1/3 of the entire length.

The sample SOI that we received was about the Pastiche of Pedroe Parramo discussing Rulfo's Use of Sound. The student that wrote the WL2b, discusses across 2 pages how they plan to imitate the writing style of PP. They then go in depth for a paragraph to explain exactly what they mean, and they include quotes and excerpts from the text to support their point. That continues on for 2 pages with every aspect that they plan to discuss.

Hopefully this helps!

• 2 months later...

My teacher gave us 4 questions that he thought should be answered in the statement of intent:

What work is the task based on? (author, year of publishing etc.)

What will you do? (the nature of your task, form, audience, style and language etc)

Why do you do it? (the aspects you are focusing on and why they are interesting, why do you want to explore this particular aspect)

How do you do it? (how do you bring the particular aspect forward, that style, stylistic devices etc do you use and why did you choose that way?)

Hope this helps!

This helped me so much, thanks a lot! :wub:

• 9 months later...