Hello! I really need some help! I started I.B last thursday with the following subjects...

HL:

• Theatre
  • Business
  • English B

SL:

• Maths
  • Biology
  • Spanish A

Business is a new subject for me and I have had four lessons so far of which I have hated all. The teacher who is doing the business course is new to the school and I really haven't liked her method of teaching at all. Nevertheless, business was such a big class that it was split into two, the one I'm in, with the new teacher, and the other one with a teacher I like and am familiar with. Here is my issue, I am not allowed to switch to the other business class, meaning that if I want to carry on with business I need to continue in my current class which I always dread going to. Of course, I also have the option of doing geography or history, and I'm leaning towards the history option at the moment. I'm just concerned that with the I.B I have I will struggle if I swap to History as its so content heavy!

What do you think the best option is, business or history? Bear in mind I'm not sure what I want to study at university yet, but most likely something to do with Law or Psychology.

My second question is, should I take French rather than Theatre? I have a true passion for drama, and my teacher sees a lot of potential in me. However, I know I won't end up studying anything theatre related, and a third language may benefit me more in the future...My parents insist that I take french, not only for the many benefits of being trilingual but the french class currently contains two students, three if I were to join, so I feel as though I'd learn a lot these two years... What should I do? 

Thanks in advance for the help!! I need advice!

Ellen xx

Firstly, I have to agree that history is one of the heavier subjects in terms of the amount of new and unfamiliar content you have to learn. In my personal opinion, I believe business to be easier (but this is obviously different for different people). I think both subjects are pretty good for the humanities type fields you like, so it doesn't really matter. Are you willing to work harder for something you like more (history)? That's something you should really reflect on.

As for the french/theatre dilemna, it seems that you desire theatre but you believe french is a more beneficial investment in your future. You might not pursue future studies in theatre. But just remember that high school is not all about planning out your life right now. This might be your last chance to participate in theatre. Plus maybe it'll maximize your score? 

Maybe this might be a good solution: take french and join theatre-related extracurriculars. For example, I would join the drama - acting club at my school. Plus, these extra-curriculars can also count for cas. :)

• Like 1