Lang B teacher too chill

Hey guys, 

so I'm currently in the IB and I'm taking german B SL. 

I know it seems a bit early to be judging my teachers but my german teacher basically began the year with "so yeah I get that Lang B is something a lot of people forget and dont care too much about so we're gonna be taking it pretty easy" and for the last three weeks we basically haven't done anything...

the problem is, german was one of my absolute favourite subjects last year and I really want to do well and perhaps get a 7. I got an A* in the IGCSE german exam but I still know that the jump from IGCSE and IB is big so it's not like I can chill for 2 years and then except a 7 easy peasy. 

So, I've been planning to do quite a bit at home. Does anyone have any tips? Like maybe grammar or vocab apps / websites? Books? Anything? Positive vibes? 

Anyways, Thanks for answers! 

:):) 

not sure about how IGCSE German is like, but I can tell you that if you've already gotten A* in IGCSE German, you'll be pretty surprised at how German B is like. Bottomline: provided you have a solid enough exposure to the language in terms of reading and writing, it's really easy to do well in the subject.

So you can actually, chill for 2 years and expect a 7. Might not be the best way to go about it, but definitely can work. Language B subjects have arguably the smallest syllabus content e.g. there are 5 option topics and the IB only recommends you to study 2, but my teacher's planning to cover all 5 and in one year only, simply because he doesn't know what to spend the rest of the time with -- but really, you only need to be familiar with 2. 

Also keep in mind that good teachers do what's best for the entire class, not just for an individual. Like I feel that most of my teachers except for English & Indonesian are going way too slow in covering the course content, but a lot of people just can't keep up with a fast pace so it's not fair for me to go about and get my teachers to rush everything. 

Practicing for Language B, I actually maintain a diary of some sorts that I write a paragraph in everyday, usually just random stuff/reflections for CAS in the language -- and most importantly, get someone that's good at the language to look at it every once in a while to fix grammar errors, advise better diction use etc. Maintaining a word bank is also useful, though it's not a bad idea to start that in your second year as then you'll be closer to your exams. Read newspapers/articles occasionally in the language, and just speak the language whenever you get the chance.

In any case, looking at your subject combination, I suggest not making German B SL a priority unless you plan on studying it in uni. 

• 2 weeks later...