Sticky Note reading strategy?

Andy K.

Hello :),

I just have a few questions which popped into my head just recently,

In literature class, we have just started reading a play by Arthur Miller called "The Crucibles"

My teacher urges us to use sticky notes. Tons of them. Now I am about to start and just want to get clear about few points before I do so.

1. If any of you use or have used this method of reading, how do you apply the sticky notes to your advantage? (How are they used?)

2. It does seem effective, but how long would this process take? (144 pages, and I must focus on other stuff too!!)

3. What things should I look for when I am reading? (I generally know what to expect, but just want to get extra clear about this.)

(4. On a side note, if you have previously read it, how was the play in your opinion?)

Thank you very much!!

Edited by Andy K.

I just take a little strip and just stick it on the top/edge of page, depending on where said information is. I use different colors for different characters to make it easier for me.

For this play, I would suppose that you should look for quotes that bring out crucial information about a character's motivations/ views on the world.

I can't say anything about how long this would take you as we all read at different paces. Personally, I read the play in 3-4 hours but I would have been able to finish it within two hours as well.

As for the play itself, I really enjoyed reading it. I think that Miller presented his opinions excellently through the characters and the themes that the play bring up are still relevant in today's world.

Hope this helped.

• Like 1

Perhaps you should read the play in one go before applying any sticky notes; this helps to ensure a smooth reading and at minimum a rough understanding of the entire text before you use sticky notes in 2nd or 3rd readings. Depending on what your assessment will be, you can focus on different aspects of the book. For example if you know in class you will be writing a commentary, you want to watch out for recurring techniques or motifs or references that are likely to be present in any given passage. If you will be making some creative project, you can note down lines related to central ideas/themes of the book then you may need to refer to in your presentation/work.