I'm planning on doing something related to a topic I really like e.g. thinking of doing integration based on rate laws from Kinetics -- I can conduct my own experiments to collect primary data but instead of processing the data as I would for a Chemistry IA, I'd be processing the more mathematical parts of it like the area under the curve, the rate of reaction, deriving the integrated form of the rate law etc. 

Edited by IB`ez

4 hours ago, IB`ez said:

I'm planning on doing something related to a topic I really like e.g. thinking of doing integration based on rate laws from Kinetics -- I can conduct my own experiments to collect primary data but instead of processing the data as I would for a Chemistry IA, I'd be processing the more mathematical parts of it like the area under the curve, the rate of reaction, deriving the integrated form of the rate law etc. 

I really like your topic. Can you tell me a topic like this but without using integrals??? (no integration)

2 minutes ago, mariina.1319 said:

I really like your topic. Can you tell me a topic like this but without using integrals??? (no integration)

idk man u gotta be creative. what might work for me might not work for you. You can go as simple as kicking a soccer ball with varying weight/distance etc. then doing things like using differential calculus to obtain the velocity of the ball at various points, plot different functions for different ball weights/distances -- and come out with a perfect IA.  

You can even go about collecting economics data about various "consumer baskets" and then analyzing it from what you'd learn in the Statistics portion of the maths syllabus, or analyzing probability in card games like poker etc.

Also since your HL maths, the mathematics in your IA must be commensurate to that level. Therefore, what I said about things working differently for us is the literal truth -- what would get me a 6/6 for the mathematical aspect criterion of my IA could probably only get you a 4/6 since you're HL.

Bottomline, any topic can get you a perfect score, provided you provide thorough mathematical analysis that is commensurate to higher level maths. And again, this is your IA, you'll have to figure out what you yourself want to do. 

12 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

idk man u gotta be creative. what might work for me might not work for you. You can go as simple as kicking a soccer ball with varying weight/distance etc. then doing things like using differential calculus to obtain the velocity of the ball at various points, plot different functions for different ball weights/distances -- and come out with a perfect IA.  

You can even go about collecting economics data about various "consumer baskets" and then analyzing it from what you'd learn in the Statistics portion of the maths syllabus, or analyzing probability in card games like poker etc.

Also since your HL maths, the mathematics in your IA must be commensurate to that level. Therefore, what I said about things working differently for us is the literal truth -- what would get me a 6/6 for the mathematical aspect criterion of my IA could probably only get you a 4/6 since you're HL.

Bottomline, any topic can get you a perfect score, provided you provide thorough mathematical analysis that is commensurate to higher level maths. And again, this is your IA, you'll have to figure out what you yourself want to do. 

I agree with you :) Im thinking about this topics, Which one do you like most @IB`ez???

-the Theory of chaos in the stock market

-Tesseract - A 4D cube

-The Mathematics genetic inheritance (Gregor Mendel) Probability
-Speed Spread of disease
-The Geometrical structure of the universe
-The Minimal surfaces and soap bubbles
-What is the best way to π calculate?
-Model Of a system of optimal lighting
-last Fermat's theorem on sums of two squares. MATEM.PURAS
-The Golden ratio and the Fibonacci sequence produced in nature and music, based on the principles of mathematics.
-To Determine the best ways to find limits
-the mathematical model behind the carbon-14 (radiocarbon)
-The Prediction of an eclipse with maths
-Trigonometry in Architecture
-The Multidisciplinary design optimization

Edited by mariina.1319

7 hours ago, mariina.1319 said:

I agree with you :) Im thinking about this topics, Which one do you like most @IB`ez???

-the Theory of chaos in the stock market

-Tesseract - A 4D cube

-The Mathematics genetic inheritance (Gregor Mendel) Probability
-Speed Spread of disease
-The Geometrical structure of the universe
-What is the best way to π calculate?
-last Fermat's theorem on sums of two squares. MATEM.PURAS
-The Golden ratio and the Fibonacci sequence produced in nature and music, based on the principles of mathematics.
-To Determine the best ways to find limits
-the mathematical model behind the carbon-14 (radiocarbon)
-Trigonometry in Architecture

Well I think the fact that I only knew what a Tesseract is from the Avengers and Thor, I might not be the best guy to consult for mathematical advice XD

That said, I guess I can do my best to comment on some of your ideas.

The mathematics in Mendel's genetic inheritance, from what I know, isn't complex at all. You're really only using Chi Squared tests involving degrees of freedom, expected vs observed etc. --- it's maths that even people who take Math Studies would know. Unless you can find actual more complex mathematics behind it, I wouldn't suggest Mendel's genetic inheritance.

Speed spread of disease seems plausible -- and that's about it I guess lol. I really don't know what to make of the rest you said. They all seem like really good topics to explore. Just choose whichever you like best and make sure you have a lot of mathematics to talk about.

Good luck! 

9 hours ago, IB`ez said:

Well I think the fact that I only knew what a Tesseract is from the Avengers and Thor, I might not be the best guy to consult for mathematical advice XD

That said, I guess I can do my best to comment on some of your ideas.

The mathematics in Mendel's genetic inheritance, from what I know, isn't complex at all. You're really only using Chi Squared tests involving degrees of freedom, expected vs observed etc. --- it's maths that even people who take Math Studies would know. Unless you can find actual more complex mathematics behind it, I wouldn't suggest Mendel's genetic inheritance.

Speed spread of disease seems plausible -- and that's about it I guess lol. I really don't know what to make of the rest you said. They all seem like really good topics to explore. Just choose whichever you like best and make sure you have a lot of mathematics to talk about.

Good luck! 

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

-The Geometrical structure of the universe? Not sure how this one would work out
-What is the best way to π calculate? Maybe but not if ur shooting for a 20/20
-the mathematical model behind the carbon-14 (radiocarbon), might be a little simple

I think these are the best.

I did mine on satellite dish optimization and it went pretty well.

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:30 PM, Jpcrema27 said:

-The Geometrical structure of the universe? Not sure how this one would work out
-What is the best way to π calculate? Maybe but not if ur shooting for a 20/20
-the mathematical model behind the carbon-14 (radiocarbon), might be a little simple

I think these are the best.

I did mine on satellite dish optimization and it went pretty well.

Hi! Thank you very much. Can you send me you exploration about satellite dish optimization?? I am interested in read it... :) 

Why do you said that the mathematical model behind the carbon-14 is simple? I think is very difficult..... :S 

Do you know another topic that could be good for HL Maths? ;) 

thank you very very much :) @Jpcrema27

8 hours ago, mariina.1319 said:

Hi! Thank you very much. Can you send me you exploration about satellite dish optimization?? I am interested in read it... :) 

Why do you said that the mathematical model behind the carbon-14 is simple? I think is very difficult..... :S 

Do you know another topic that could be good for HL Maths? ;) 

thank you very very much :) @Jpcrema27

I think others have given you enough topics to work with. A good score doesn't have to be to 20/20. Ultimately IB intents everyone to come up with their own investigation, although topics can more or less borrowed. You should just pick your favourite and decide for yourself ways to approach the topic. The approach/investigation is much more central to getting a good mark. With that in mind, others' perception of a topic can vastly differ from yours so what others think as good topics may not necessarily be best for you. 
Best luck!

EDIT: feel free to correct me, but the primary reason for existence of this forum is not so members can get perfect scores, but that students can use resources and assistance allowed by IB to achieve personal best and to experience a fulfilling learning journey. 

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

I think others have given you enough topics to work with. A good score doesn't have to be to 20/20. Ultimately IB intents everyone to come up with their own investigation, although topics can more or less borrowed. You should just pick your favourite and decide for yourself ways to approach the topic. The approach/investigation is much more central to getting a good mark. 
Best luck!

Yes I definitely agree with this, how you deal with a given topic is much more important than the topic itself and any score above 15 is very good. Just make sure the topic chosen has mathematics that is neither too hard nor too simple in comparison to what you have done in HL. I unfortunately cannot send you my investigation as I have not yet finished IB (nov2016 session), but would be happy to answer any doubts.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2016 at 2:22 PM, kw0573 said:

A good score doesn't have to be to 20/20. 

To add onto this, even if you get a 20/20, there's still the chance of moderation. Last year, my teacher gave a few 20/20s and didn't get moderated. This year, she did the same (mine being one of them), and had them moderated down (mine to a 17/20). I still got the 7, which is all I really cared about. The point is that while you should still try your hardest to get as high a score as possible, there is no guarantee that you will get that score (it may even go up!). 

• Like 1