Switching to ESS after the first year- possible?

imgonnadie

I've been having a lot of difficulty with physics and I was wondering if it is possible to switch to environmental systems and societies after the first year. Or rather, if it's possible to catch up and attain a 6 in the subject.

I'm taking an irregular diploma currently, with English HL, French HL, Biology HL, Maths SL, Chemistry SL, and Physics SL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What the heck you have 3 sciences! Holy **** you re a god damn hero yes you can I got in the IB in the middle of the 1st year without doing the pre ib and still recovered all of the subjects... the question is why do you wanna change to ESS? Your curriculum is already esoteric enough... I mean you could use ESS as your social Science subject and it would be better and more balanced. ESS is virtually studying and memorizing basic concepts like biology, but with less profundity on the subject.

Let me tell you that, as a science ESS is seen as the puniest one, that guys who hate sciences like me use to have a subject from the natural sciences group (unless your re planning to take an environmental course and all of that, but still other natural sciences are important). Having such an unbalanced curriculum with 3 sciences and one of them is ESS would not favor you. I am not saying it is bad, I am just saying that if you can use your curriculum to play in your favor, then take advantage of it!

There is, on the other hand, the option of you keeping Physics SL. It depends on your academic aspirations, but is it worth giving up on physics? Keep on, come on! On the DP2 you will see things will be clearer, you will study way harder and, with the exams coming up, you ll see things will have to "get in". Don't worry, try very hard, dedicate a full week to physics. You re already on your senior year, so one week. Test yourself. If you realize in a week of full hard work you weren't able to at least feel more satisfied with the subject and feel like you know the same as before and that knowledge simply did not get in... then I am the first to advise you to drop out! But do that: build a scenario of full work, like an experiment in a lab. Simulate a week of hard work try on past papers, study 30 pages a day, read things about physics. If you do not then feel like you managed to pull "something" off, drop out without dithering...

Cheers pal,

Richard