TOK 2017 What is this

Richard Stifler

2017 IB'ers,

Was I the only one that stood 5 minutes looking at the new TOK prescribed titles and felt as empty as a waffles chips pack? Seriously, am I the only one that, comparing with the previous year's titles, thinks these ones are even more vague and intricate? Teachers usually say: look at them all, chop off 3 right away, consider 2 and keep one as the back up plan. Honestly, I did not look at any that would inspire me to write 1.600 words. 5 and 6 are, lets say, the ones that I would see myself doing, though all of the others belong to the "right away chop off" category, which is kinda bad... 

Has the same happened with you? Which do you find the hardest one(s)? Or is any of you feeling inspired with these themes? If so, could you briefly discuss the key topics that you think are important to consider for each one?   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same here too. But i am thanking my stars that these titles are not prescribed for me since this is just my year 1 of IB. So good luck to all those appearing for the May 2017 exams! 

We have to write on any one of them as practice and number 4 goes straight to my "chop off" list. I selected number 1 but as I really start writing it, I'm starting to doubt my ability on completing 1,600 words on this...

On 16 de Setembro de 2016 at 2:25 AM, IB`ez said:

lel same here. took a look at them, consulted with my TOK teacher, even she feels they're somewhat weird and vague. 

The one that was most appealing to me was 6, the one with the patterns. You just talk about maths and another dichotomous AoK and say that "to a certain extent" bs. I also liked 5 (kinda), but I found it rather insidious as it can lead you to subjectivism and thats suicide in ToK. But I am still lost with these titles seriously the past ones were so god damn easy.

On 16 de Setembro de 2016 at 5:07 PM, Kevin9908 said:

Well, I like number 3. I haven't got the time to consider the other ones.

Number 3 was one of the first ones I decided to remove from my list. You d have to discuss the term key events and then what? Say something like "we can only judge based on what we see or know, despite it might not be yet close to the truth"; or something like "we do not know everything now, and in the future we certainly augment our knowledge due to experience and trials. But still that is a path to seek for truth: the present knowledge leads us to a more complete acknowledged future"... is that it? And in what theories are you going to base yourself on? 

1 hour ago, BarelySurviving said:

Same here too. But i am thanking my stars that these titles are not prescribed for me since this is just my year 1 of IB. So good luck to all those appearing for the May 2017 exams! 

We have to write on any one of them as practice and number 4 goes straight to my "chop off" list. I selected number 1 but as I really start writing it, I'm starting to doubt my ability on completing 1,600 words on this...

The only thing I can say was that 4 was the first to be removed, then it was number 3. But 4 is like the worst I look at it and honestly see a vague essay not leading to anything and being graded with a D ahah. But yeah 5 and 6 are among my predilections, I must say. But still we must choose one with good, solid theories and philosophers available, otherwise like my ToK teacher said thee is yet no chance of it being graded with the max mark. Or close.

3 hours ago, Richard Stifler said:

The only thing I can say was that 4 was the first to be removed, then it was number 3. But 4 is like the worst I look at it and honestly see a vague essay not leading to anything and being graded with a D ahah. But yeah 5 and 6 are among my predilections, I must say. But still we must choose one with good, solid theories and philosophers available, otherwise like my ToK teacher said thee is yet no chance of it being graded with the max mark. Or close.

As with previous years, students are welcome to make the question more specific and to not attempt the entire broad question in 1600 words. Often immediately consider few WoK's and AoK's and key concepts that come to mind. For example for title 4, I thought about cohesive (coherence) theory of truth, where new knowledge is to be compatible to established truths. For number 3, "history" should be interpreted as "progression in development of knowledge" not strictly or limited to history as an AoK.

Edited by kw0573