Hello everyone.

So yeah, the question is already stated above. However, I am concerned that not too many universities will take me with 30 IB points, in Europe, that is. 

I was hoping for like 34... that didn't happen. 

Also, I don't know if this will have any effect, I completed my IB Diploma in May and am taking a gap year until mid 2017. Preferably I want to apply to Sweden, where there don't seem to be any specific entry requirements... 

Back to the question... do you think I can make it into some decent Swedish uni or not-so-decent... for an Economics/Humanities/Modern Languages, this sort of stuff, undergraduate degree? I heard they have two attempts.

If you don't think I can get into a Swedish uni, please tell me directly, and, if you have, it'd be nice to hear an alternative.

Still I am a little unsure, and considering to resit a few subjects next May Session... could possibly push up my grades by one or two points (if that even matters)

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Cheers.

That is not true. Many universities will accept you with 30 IB points. Although it might be true that it is not a particular high score, you did manage to pass, so congratulations on that :)

Austria: most unis just want you to pass the diploma so you have more or less fulfilled the entry requirement. However, your german must reach at least a B2 level in order to begin your studies in Austrian universities. 

Germany: the application process is more troublesome. You need to convert ur grades into the german Abitur equivalence and then apply via something weird online. But 30 is more than enough to get into some unis. However, you must do at least one of the following subject: Bio HL/Phy HL/Chem HL/Maths HL. There are more weird requirements. PM me if u are interested in german unis.

The Netherlands: Some unis (uni of Eindhoven/groningen have english courses) have pretty much the same requirement (more than 28 points). They might however, have some other specific requirements such as "passing maths HL". So I can't say anything more without knowing the details of your grades.

England: I think unis in the UK do care more about your grades than unis in other countries, but I am sure there are unis out there that are willing to accept you with open arms. :) 

I wanted to apply to a swedish/norwegian unis as well and most of them don't have specific requirements for the IB. highly recommend you sending an email to the unis that you are interested in. Best way to get info. :) 

Good luck. 

Edited by Guest

Hello Justin. Thank you very much for your reply. Sure did give me some more hopes :) . The German is no problem... I am a native speaker with a C1 diploma :D

The "weird thing" you are reffering to for German unis is called "uni assist" :)

Well, I am going to try my luck with Sweden and if that does not work I will probably try Austria.

I do have HL bio, so I am set. I also don't think a humanity undergraduate degree requires particular skills in maths :P

Also, if you want to apply to Sweden, you need to do it over this website (link below) they explain the whole process. You do not do it with each uni individually. However, Autumn courses 2017 aren't all out yet. So you will have to be a little patient. Even Spring 2017 is not yet fully updated. 

Make an account on the website and if there are any problems reply to this topic.

Thanks a lot for your time :)

And, before I forget, here the link:

https://www.universityadmissions.se/intl/start

Hello, fellow

My case is pretty much like yours. I am taking my final exams next year, although I got in the IB around the middle of the 1st year, without having attended the Pre-IB which was very important at my school as they lectured virtually half of the topics per subject. I ended up, still, the 1st year with 29 points, with History HL and Env. Systems SL being a deception (4/7). Despite my situation, I was kinda frightened that no college whatsoever in Europe would take me: I had no stable knowledge on the IB subjects.

However, all of my IAs and EE are going very well and I am hoping to increase my makes up to 32 points. Thats my objective. I am still open to more fluctuations, you never know what, or how much, you can lift up.

I am actually planning to to the UK for college, There are some pretty good universities which do not request that much points. Furthermore, it also depends on the course you re aspiring to take but, from what I read, humanities doesn't require you an exorbitant score. Also, that bs you need Bio HL and Maths HL, that aint true. For example, for a Law degree, it would be good that you d have History HL and Lang and Lit HL. It means you have good analytical and interpretive skills. There is also that criterion, which no one seemed to mention, that you have to have like a certain score within your HL subjects. Most ask for 6-5-5, nonetheless those like Kings College or some other renowned univ demand 7-6-6. This is a very important criterion that, despite your score, you must achieve.

Look dude you re fine. Your grades are perfectly acceptable. The average at my school doesn't even reach 30 points. My advice is if 30 points is enough for what you want, go for it, don't insist on having a better score, as it is only a path for you to get to college, No one will give you a job cause you had 39 points. They will give you a job cause you took International Law (hypothetical thinking) with distinction. And thats it. We are often pressured because of our high school grades but it is only for us to pull the best of ourselves without thinking oh yeah 32 points is enough and ****. Of course we have to be ambitious, I agree: now I am actually trying not to put on limits and expectations to my final results, so that I can get the best possible. But don't despair!

Tho if you don't have enough points for your major, then repeating some subjects wouldn't seem a bad idea. I would do the same, but remember the priority is the college degree!

Get a good letter of recommendation (written by your teacher) and motivation (redacted by you). Show yourself a wide open spirit and motivated to gain knowledge and pursue that course as the basis for your professional life. Thats the spirit.

Cheers,

Richard