Maths IA - Torus HELP NEEDED

Amberrose248

Hi,

I'm doing an IA on the volume and surface area of a torus, and I've already derived the equations needed. However, these equations and their derivations are widely found across the internet, so do you think it would turn up as plagiarisation? :0

Also, I'm thinking on optimising surface area with a fixed volume, meaning having the largest surface area with the smallest volume. How do you think I can do this, and whether the equations that I have just derived can play a part in this? 

Thanks a ton :)

No, this would not be considered plagiarism as long as you don't copy text word for word. The fact that it's all over the internet just means it's a popular topic. It might affect your Personal Engagement criterion score since you're not bringing a new perspective to this. 

To do your second part, you need to vary R (radius from the centre of tube to centre of torus) and r (radius of the tube). That is, two variables are changing at the same time. I would fix a volume, find a relationship between R and r, find the SA equation in terms of one of the two variables and then derive it to find the maximum. This seems complicated but it really isn't. Just have to think about things step-by-step.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 9/19/2016 at 9:35 PM, IB Math Helper said:

No, this would not be considered plagiarism as long as you don't copy text word for word. The fact that it's all over the internet just means it's a popular topic. It might affect your Personal Engagement criterion score since you're not bringing a new perspective to this. 

To do your second part, you need to vary R (radius from the centre of tube to centre of torus) and r (radius of the tube). That is, two variables are changing at the same time. I would fix a volume, find a relationship between R and r, find the SA equation in terms of one of the two variables and then derive it to find the maximum. This seems complicated but it really isn't. Just have to think about things step-by-step.

Hope this helps.

How do you vary both R and r with a fixed volume?