Chemistry IA

Rik

Hey guys! I'm kinda confused about IAs. My teachers all told me that IAs should have a hard topic to discuss. It shouldn't be something easily found on the internet either. As much as possible, they told me I have to do an IA that hasn't been done before.

So I searched for a few Chemistry IAs to get some inspiration.. But then most of the samples I found had pretty simple procedures. Is that because their just samples? Or can I actually have a simple and plain topic?

P.S. My HLs are Math, Chemistry and Biology and if anyone can give me tips on how to write these IAs, that would be really helpful! Thanks :)

Here is a video by @mrwengchemistry

So one way to write IA, as your teacher and the video uploader say, is to modify existing methodology as a continuation of another's finding. You can also use methodology you know well to apply it in a new context/calculation. 

You don't want your IA to be too complex because it often introduces lots of sources of errors. So if the methodology is mostly/entirely original then a simple one works. With fewer modifications you make, the topic should be more complex and you need to show you understand each step and have a solid discussion. 

For math, you are not expect to come up with a new theorem, so application of math skills is acceptable. More emphasis goes into explaining in your own words and trying our methods/approaches without entirely resorting to some model solution. For math IA, you need a topic that can incorporate multiple topics in math. 

• Like 1