hupe

Hey, I'm just starting the Diploma Programme this year and taking SL Maths. I was wondering if anyone had any study techniques, or any tips in general, in order to do well in the Maths SL course. Secondly, I'd like to know if anyone has any good resources to find Maths SL past papers online. So yeah, any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I don't know what to expect, to be honest. 

Here are some suggestions:

1) Ask questions in class. Make sure you understand the content AND the subtleties behind everything you learn.

2) The hard questions on IB combine several topics into 1 question. You need to be adept at understanding how different topics can be connected (e.g. combining probability with quadratics). So DO YOUR HOMEWORK and TRY THE HARDER QUESTIONS.

3) In order to be adept at the questions mentioned in #2, you need to practice tons of questions. To find these questions, I suggest getting the old IB Questionbank software (you'll have to google it and see if it's still floating around). The Questionbank is a little old and does not reflect the changes made to the most recent curriculum (e.g. Matrices are no longer part of the current curriculum) but they are still useful.

4) Be adept at non-calculator (Paper 1) questions (i.e. know your times tables, how to add/subtract/multiply/divide quickly, operations with fractions and special triangles).

5) Be adept at using your graphing calculator (Paper 2). You don't want to waste time searching for a function on a calculator simply because you didn't practice enough.

6) It's a good idea to memorize formulas from the formula booklet. The booklet is always available as a resource but I advise you to memorize formulas to save time on tests and exams.

7) The IA is worth 20% of your overall score. When it comes time to do the IA, review examples from the past, review the assessment criteria and aim for getting the maximum mark. Doing extremely well on your IA is a form of insurance in case something goes wrong during the exam.

8) When you get closer to the IB exams, start looking for past papers with solution keys. A good starting point is the IB reddit page and google is pretty good too. Your teacher should be handing out some examples as well.