English A, struggling through some terminology

LoL IB

After all the year working under english A, I'm still struggling in understanding the criteria and requirements for gradings. 

For ex.

A.i. analyse the content, context, language, structure, technique and style of text(s) and the relationship among texts

After all these months studying, I'm still confused on the above terms

I'm not a native english speaker, I think I really need help on the above texts

Can someone explain it to me with simple example?

especially the Context, Content. I can't really fully understand and distinguish this two apart.

Much thanks, appreciated 

Hi there, 

I'll try my best to explain to you the following terms =). 

Content - This is what the text is about, for example if you have a text about snails; the content would be written like "This text explores snails in their natural habitat, looking specifically at the local nesting ground and food sources." 

Context - This is basically looking at what period the text is from; so, when looking at context, look at the date of the text, talk about important historical events that happened during that time. For example Frankenstein by Mary shelley was published in 1818, so, for the context, look into the french revelation which happen around the 1780's, and write about how the context is significant to the novel, also, in context, talk about the background of the author, that is very important ! :D

Language - For this section, you should look at the language being used, how it is relevant to the context. For example Frankenstein, used very old and complex words, often using imagery to create the theme of Nature and the Sublime; the language of Frankenstein also resembled itself to Gothic literature, so look at context when doing language.  

Structure - This is how the text is built up, are there large paragraphs? short paragraphs? are they descriptive? or not? Are the sentences complex or simple? ask yourself these questions, and that should help you with structure, and always ask the question "why is it significant?". 

Stylistic devices (Technique and style of text) - Stylistic devices. In this section, you should look at devices such as Onomatopoeia, Alliteration, Susurration, Metaphors, Imagery, Sarcasm, Irony, Oxymorons. etc. Look for these, when you found one in the text, write it down, with supporting evidence. 

Relationships among texts - For this, look for similarities in the text, in Content, Context, Language, Structure, and Stylistic devices. Try to find a link between the two texts or novels that share a similarity, creating this relationship. 

Hope this helps,^_^ 

If you need any further help, don't hesitate and ask. (You can also ask your teacher, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you)! :D 

Edited by Oscarthecat3
  • Like 1