Consumerism and Culture in the 1950's - Too Social?

LonelyParamecium

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum and I am excited to see the feedback each of you are able/ willing to provide. I am in my first year within the IB program (Grade 11) and have been working on finding a topic for my extended essay. This process has proved to be much harder than I intentionally thought it would be, and I have had multiple ideas be rejected multiple times. I have decided I want to write my EE on history, in regards to a topic I am extremally passionate about the influence of large companies on the modern world, specifically the desegregation of American health. Nonetheless, my mentor does not think my initial question will do well "To what extent did the uprise in consumerism (in the 1950's) impact American culture?". The few teachers I asked all said this would make too much of a social history paper, and recommended I change my topic or try to refine it. Now I ask you, what are your thoughts on the idea? Is there any way to alter it so as to make it less social? Should I change (and if so do you have any recommendations for a new topic)? I would really appreciate it if you could direct to a historical event that allows me to write about my passion. 

I thank you all in advance, this has caused way more stress than necessary :P :)!