HL Math vs SL Math

theKorian

USA:

FYI: I am taking 4 HLs. Currently in HL math, but I am considering switching down to Sl math because HL math has been hindering my ability to perform in other classes. It's about 1/8 through year 1, and I'm wondering if it's too late. Dropping one HL will still keep me in IB because I am currently in 4 HLs. It's basically become do a boatload of work for a B in HL math, or just soar through SL math with an A (4.0 vs 4.5). I am also wondering if I would still be able to get into a good university (like ivy league) if I don't take HL math. I plan on going to school for business. 

Don't do 4 highers!

It's a good idea to start your year with 4 highers, but don't try to finish the IB like that. 4 highers is hard enough, especially when you have maths. Good universities will accept you with standard level maths, and sometimes it's much better for your overall grade. Maths HL is very time consuming and you would have to be a genius to get a 7, and very lucky to get a 6, while in Maths SL (even though it's still not easy) will give you a better chance at the higher grades.

I think you should drop to SL. It's not too late, but you should do it as quickly as possible. 

I think it's a bit earlier to decide whether to drop from HL or not. I strongly suggest you to wait until the January to see how your grades change. Especially, if you're interested in Business, then you'll need HL Math to get into TOP Universities. You can ALWAYS switch your Math level from HL to SL, therefore do not rush. Give a chance to HL Math :) 

P.s. I'm taking SL Math because our school does not offer HL Math. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amina13 said:

I think it's a bit earlier to decide whether to drop from HL or not. I strongly suggest you to wait until the January to see how your grades change. Especially, if you're interested in Business, then you'll need HL Math to get into TOP Universities. You can ALWAYS switch your Math level from HL to SL, therefore do not rush. Give a chance to HL Math :) 

P.s. I'm taking SL Math because our school does not offer HL Math. 

Agreed. You should wait for maybe 1/2 of year 1 before leaving Math HL. I think a semester(or equivalent) of HL can make SL much easier, because in the beginning, SL is not that different from HL. Logistically, your school don't submit final course enrollments until 3 months into Year 2 (November 2017). Even then, you can still change courses with a fine as long as your school can accommodate. 

• Like 1

IB is stressful enough without taking four HLs. If you switch, you can focus on your other subjects and  have a better chance of scoring higher on the Math exam- which means more college credit.

HL math learns basically twice as much as SL math. SL math is a precalc, very basic stuff, for the first year and the second year is calculus. I am in my second year of SL math and my class was learning the same stuff as the HL juniors. They have all ready passed us. If you're keeping a B in HL, you're probably going to get As in SL, protect your GPA.

• Like 1