Akash Mattupalli

Hey,

It has been a month since I started IB and it is intense! I am doing Lit HL and we are doing a short story anthology called The Bloody Chamber and other stories. For my IOP, which is in a month's time, I am choosing the main story, which is The Bloody Chamber, which has a lot of gothic description. I am thinking of doing 'The Visual Interpretation of Settings in The Bloody Chamber.' 

In this, I select a few major settings in the short story and convert them from text to images (I am gonna draw them) and present them visually and explain some things in it and the significance of the setting. Does this sound like a good IOP?

Last week I did a short practice presentation, where I didnt really prepare and was reading from notes but got a 19/30, but got pretty good comments on my presentation from my teacher.

Make sure you're looking closely at the marking criteria! You have to show knowledge and understanding, have an interesting presentation, and use appropriate language.  This is a very creative idea, so you definitely have the chance to do well in the second criterion.  Usually in the "knowledge and understanding" part, you'll need to provide some relatively detailed analysis of how the setting relates to your understanding of the text, how it's important, how it emphasises the themes, etc. etc.  Lastly for language, I'd recommend you have some kind of prompts so that you're not speaking too colloquially, which can really bring your criterion C mark down.  Your biggest pitfall will likely be focusing too much on the drawings and not enough on the text - use your artworks as illustrations of the ideas that you're raising.  Make sure you don't just describe what's in the picture.

You have a very creative plan, and it could absolutely be a cool presentation! Good luck.