P1 Questions!

allthebest

Help me with these questions please! There are quite alot... I'll really appreciate your help!

3. Ans: B How do I know oxygen is the heaviest? Is it because it becomes diatomic?

4. Ans: C No idea about this one

7. Ans: C... I thought this was B since noble gases do not have ions. Why is it C?

18. Ans: A No idea... I know increase in entropy would be increase in gas molecules... but what is this question

27. Ans: B  How do I know? (I'm new to acid and base...started recently)

29. Ans: C How do I know...?

Thank You

mass.png

dm3.png

제목 없음.png

entropy.png

ab1.png

ab2.png

Edited by allthebest

3. O2 has greatest molar mass. Same number of moles --> O2 heaviest.
4. Since paper 1, calculator is not needed. The absolute temperature marginally increased from 298K to 323 K. About roughly 10% increase in temperature and temperature is proportional to volume, the volume increases also by 10% to 1.1
7. For example F- has larger ionic radius than Na+, but the graph does not show such info. The atomic radius in noble gases are so big because they have really low boiling point and each atom is much further from the next (the values are off the charts). 

18. http://www.chem1.com/acad/webtext/thermeq/TE2.html#SEC5 So if C1 (initial) > C2 (final), the change in entropy of system is positive. 

27. This makes use of Le Chatelier's principal. If you don't know what that is, don't worry. 28. You should wait until further familiarity with acids/bases to tackle this question. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fire-Explosion said:

The atomic radius of noble gases are actually small compared to other groups.

I looked more into this. The most popular definition of atomic radii is van der Waals, which is the distance from nucleus of the nearest approach. I looked on Wikipedia and there have been no data on empirical values for noble gas atomic radii, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_radii_of_the_elements_(data_page)#dagger. There doesn't appear to be unity across definitions, but I do retract my claim about them having high atomic radii. The most likely explanation for absence, on the graph, would be for lack of empirical data. Even without these points, the only reasonable choice to this question is still option C.