PLEASE HELP ME!

****tylife

PLEASE COULD ANY ONE GIVE ME AN ADVICE

IM YEAR 2 IB STUDENT, IM GIVING MY EXAM IN MAY 2017, BUT IM SO BEHIND FROM THE OTHER STUDENT

MATH HL I CANT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING BUT IM GOING TO TAKE EXTRA LESSONG

ECONOMICS I DONT UNDERSTAND EITHER

CAN ANYONE HELL ME, CAN I MAKE OT ON TIME TO CATCH UP? LITERALLY IM BALLING CRYING BECAUSE OF THIS I CANT HELP IT 

IM SO DEPRESSED 

Firstly, CALM DOWN. You need to understand that being depressed does not solve any problem at all. And we have a 7 months before the actual exams. Don't Worry (I know, it's easier said than done). Instead, you can start to schedule your time so that you can use it efficiently. Make notes on what subjects and specific topics that struggle you and then make appointments with your teachers regularly. You also can find so many online resources on the internet. 

I'm gonna insist on the scheduling issue -- it's scientifically proven that those who make deadlines for each task are more successful than the ones who don't. 

And LOVE the subjects that you take - you'll study them anyway, so try to make the process more enjoyable. :) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On October 7, 2016 at 6:43 PM, new_kpk said:

What are your other subjects?  and at what level?

Maybe you need to do Maths studies (or maths SL)  and upgrade one of the easy subjects to HL?

i take 

Math HL

Russian B HL

Geography HL

Economics SL

English A SL

Sport Science SL

The first step to solve any problem is to identify the problem. There's still time to improve. So you say you are behind in math. Is that because teacher goes too fast? Time management issues? Tired all the time? Too much homework? Test questions are too different from homework? There can be many issues at play here so unless you are being very specific in what's wrong, we can't help very much. 

First things first. Depression is a medical diagnosis and deserves medical (or psychiatric) attention. You should continue to do what you love to do despite (in spite of?) IB. Whether that's listening to music or read books or play sports, continue to do that. However, you should dedicate enough time to school once you have ensured mind and body well-being.

I think best resources should be primarily your peers and teachers. Ask them for help. When you work with math problems, it's best that you completely understand every question you do and be able to do so in exam conditions, instead of do much more problems half-hearted and quickly giving up. 

• Like 2

Calming down and assessing your situation is a vital first step. Panic will not help anyone, nor will it allow you to improve, and so when you feel on the verge of panic, slow down and do something you find calms you (for me that would be drinking tea :)). Afterwards, look at your problems individually. If math is troubling you the most, focus on that and find out what it is you don't understand and thoroughly study the concepts rather than just skimming the surface and assuming understanding. The best I can really say in this sort of situation is slow down and try to find where it is that your problems are. Do that and you'll find things getting better for you :)

Hope this helps!

YouTube is your friend, especially for topics like Math, I suggest you look for good teachers online, Sal from KhanAcademy, Mitch Campbell, and for subjects that are more content heavy such as Economics, a good revision guide or note summary will go a long way so get those. 

Once you get the topics down for Math, PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE I cannot stress how important it is to do this for quantitative subjects like Math, Physics and Chemistry especially if attempted at HL, just make a regimen that you will stick too especially if you are lagging very behind for Math, acutely focus on it for short bursts e.g. do a whole paper everyday for a week after learning the theory use QuestionBank, also make sure to stay on top of your IA's so that you can use your whole December break just going through content.

Lastly don't forget to study objectively, always make sure you read the learning objectives before you start studying this will keep you oriented and you'll know what to understand from a topic rather than just reading everything. I'm also a procrastination wizard and I know how it feels but trust me you can make it up in 7 months if you really commit yourself.

Tell me how it goes

TL; DR - You should read it all.

One more question.  When you say, "I do not understand anything" what did you mean?  What was the exam mark for Maths HL you got in your last test?

If you are getting over 60% then I think you should be able to improve.  But, if yo are getting less than 25% always for Maths HL, then there is an issue.

On October 20, 2016 at 7:52 PM, new_kpk said:

One more question.  When you say, "I do not understand anything" what did you mean?  What was the exam mark for Maths HL you got in your last test?

If you are getting over 60% then I think you should be able to improve.  But, if yo are getting less than 25% always for Maths HL, then there is an issue.

less than 25

1 hour ago, ****tylife said:

less than 25

Well we already gave you plenty of resources/tips. If you want out that's your choice. If you want to stay then keep your head up and try our tips! Note that you would need to pay extra to change course selections after early November (November 15 is when school has to notify IB). I doubt Economics HL will do you any good, and so your only choice is to change into English A HL depends on if you can catch up on the books/works that your peers may have already finished studying them. 

Best luck! Keep us posted

In my opinion, you should do the following ASAP:

1) Change Maths HL to Maths Studies SL;  Do at least 25% of questions in the text book and last 15 years past papers.  You will get a 7.

2) Upgrade to HL the easiest between following two:   English  or   Sport Science ;  English may be a better option as IOP and IOC are same for both.

If you are getting less than 20% for your Maths HL then you should consider above option very seriously. 

If you are getting less than 10% for Maths HL then I do not think you have any other option than above.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, new_kpk said:

In my opinion, you should do the following ASAP:

1) Change Maths HL to Maths Studies SL;  Do at least 25% of questions in the text book and last 15 years past papers.  You will get a 7.

2) Upgrade to HL the easiest between following two:   English  or   Sport Science ;  English may be a better option as IOP and IOC are same for both.

If you are getting less than 20% for your Maths HL then you should consider above option very seriously. 

If you are getting less than 10% for Maths HL then I do not think you have any other option than above.

I didn't say this explicitly in my response, but Sports/Exercise/Health Sci is offered at SL only. I am not sure if OP @****tylife means Lang or Lit, and for Lang/Lit it would be FOC instead of IOP. 

I'm optimistic. I hope OP meant that OP understands 25% of content, but getting more than 25% raw grade. Part of it depends on what the class average is, we had our chemistry HL mock 4 months before our IB exams, and the grade average was 40%. I am not sure why OP chose math HL in the first place, and phrased the question in terms of how to improve instead of changing courses. It probably means that OP needs Math HL or has been previously doing very well at math, so I think improving is quite feasible as long as you get to work right now. So even if it were to come to it, there is no need to switch all the way to Studies as SL should be ok. 

I wish OP can be more specific about the situation, for example exactly why OP's behind (see my first comment) so we can figure out a customized solution. 

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1