Math IA topic

Scott123

So I have been thinking of a math IA. I have seen some poor graded math ia's online such as the one with minesweeper and correlation between poverty and gdp of a country. I really want to get this math ia some direction. Right now, I'm thinking of a way to use algebra to solve minesweeper or build up on the poverty/gdp of a country. These are my only 2 ideas, can you guys help me with some ideas. Also, can you suggest ways for me to show the correlation between poverty and gdp of a country.

So correlation is what IB prescribes to Math Studies students and in Math SL you should demonstrate your knowledge beyond plugging numbers into a spreadsheet and output some statistical measures. I am not sure why your only two potential topics are bad examples ... maybe you should also look at some good ones? I think just search around you should be able to find some. If you want to get good marks with these topics, it's not enough to just "follow the examiners' comments": writing an IA is not a purely revision task and if the writer just doesn't know how to quantify the mathematical ideas, no amount of revision can get a good mark. Therefore I implore you to be creative in your brainstorming session and choose topics you are more likely to write more confidently. It's fine if eventually you settle upon minesweeper or poverty/gdp, but you definitely should be open to more topics. 

I'm confused about your revised topics: How exactly will you use algebra to solve a minesweeper level? And what do you mean by "build up poverty/gdp of a country"?

I would suggest not replicating these topics. It seems like you want to do something with correlation. There are tons of variables to correlate. For example, running time vs weight or hours of sleep vs grades. Just pick two and explore.

Also, if you've read the bad ones, you should also read the good ones. Why did the good ones get a high score? How did they show personal engagement and show critical reflection? Have you looked into this? This is a fundamental step before you start on your IA.