Need Some Help

banter101

I am not sure which HL subject I should drop to SL. I was thinking of dropping to SL Bio however was not sure whether it would be a lot more difficult than SL Economics and sticking with HL Bio. However I also have the option of doing sports and exercise science at SL and am confused which one of the following Economics, Sports Science or Bio would be easiest at SL and which would be most difficult at HL.

I have chosen the following subjects

English HL

French B SL

Economics HL

Biology HL/SL Sports and Exercise Science

Maths SL (Accelerated)

Business Management HL

We can't really help you much until you tell us what you would like to study in the future (and where). Some countries/unis have specific requirements for certain majors, so unless you tell us what and where you want to study we won't be able to advise you without possibly hindering your future.

• Like 1

I am looking to do medicine in Sydney (no prerequisites), however I understand that it is more important to get into medicine then do the difficult subjects such as chemistry which relate heavily to medicine and end up not getting the mark to apply. 

Edited by banter101

3 hours ago, banter101 said:

I am looking to do medicine in Sydney (no prerequisites), however I understand that it is more important to get into medicine then do the difficult subjects such as chemistry which relate heavily to medicine and end up not getting the mark to apply. 

Have you looked at other options apart from Sydney? With medicine it's always good to have backups and to meet the requirements of your backups. From what I know, the science which medical schools tend to require is Chemistry. 

Yeah I have had a quick look at some of the other universities around Australia. There are only 2 universities which have a prerequisite of only chemistry and one requires an IB score of 45. There are plenty other universities which have chemistry as a prerequisites however this can be substituted by sl maths and/or good marks in HL english. Also bridging courses are an option if need be. 

How easy or not a subject is depends on you really, your strengths, interests etc. Have a  look at each subject's styllabus at HL and SL.

One thing I can say is, there is not much difference between Economics HL and SL. Econ HL differs from SL in that it has an extra topic called theory of the Firm, extra information on some of the topics and an extra mathematical paper which isn't too different. In my opinion taking it at SL isn't that much easier than taking it at HL. 

Edited by ChocolateDrop