What are six ideal subjects in the IB curriculum for someone seeking to pursue Mechanical or Electrical Engineering?

rish1420

I'd roll with something like:

• Physics HL
  • Maths HL
  • Chemistry/Computer Science/ITGS HL
  • English Literature SL
  • X Language B/Ab Initio SL
  • (Whatever you didn't choose for your 3rd HL) SL
  • A Physics EE that you can refer to in your applications

Arguably the strongest subject combination you can take with Physics & Maths HL to meet general prerequisites, and Chemistry/CS/ITGS complements and rounds off your application pretty nicely as they relate to engineering. You can take a 2nd Language A subject if you want, but that'll be very time consuming and even more hard work; you'll want to prioritize maximizing your HL grades. 

Demonstrating interest and work in the field outside of classwork, as in CAS/internships/volunteer groups/engineering-related EE would also show universities that you're deeply interested in engineering -- should definitely score points for you. 

Edit: For US universities, be sure to take the SAT/ACT, as well as SAT subject tests such as SAT Physics and SAT Math II, and making sure you meet the STEM requirements for the universities you plan on enrolling in.

Edited by IB`ez

Thanks for the answer! How do these options sound? 

1. HL Math, Physics, Economics, and SL Chemistry, English LangLit, and Spainish ab initio?

OR

2. HL Math, Physics, Economics, and SL Computer Science, English LangLit, and Spainish ab initio?

Are these options okay for applying to a top university in the engineering discipline (Mechanical or Electrical) I want to pursue?

Which option would look the best? Or should I my third HL subject be a science subject?

Edited by rish1420

2 hours ago, rish1420 said:

Thanks for the answer! How do these options sound? 

1. HL Math, Physics, Economics, and SL Chemistry, English LangLit, and Spainish ab initio?

OR

2. HL Math, Physics, Economics, and SL Computer Science, English LangLit, and Spainish ab initio?

Are these options okay for applying to a top university in the engineering discipline (Mechanical or Electrical) I want to pursue?

Which option would look the best? Or should I my third HL subject be a science subject?

I think you can get away with a 3rd subject that's not science. Economics is Ok but imo its ridiculously boring and even rather difficult (to each his own though, you might find it bearable). Since you already have two demanding HL subjects, you might want to consider ITGS (if your school offers it) as @Recycle Bin has suggested. Lastly, Chemistry & CS SL are rather interchangeable so you might want to see which one fits you better. 

• Like 1

My school unfortunately doesn't not offer ITGS, which is why I'm stuck between Chemistry and Computer science... Thus, which would be a more suitable subject for me to take as per what engineering disciplines I want to do (mentioned above), and which would obviously look better for applying to top universities? Also, should I take them at SL or HL? Or can I take Economics HL and one of these science subjects as an SL? Would that affect my application in any way?

PS: I can bear with Economics :D

Edited by rish1420

I personally feel like you should take Economics as an SL subject, but if you are really good at it/don't find it boring at all then take it at HL. Chemistry/Computer Science are both fine, pick the one you're interested in and take into consideration the IAs, exams etc. for the subjects.

I do physics, math and econ HL. They are bearable and an interesting combination. Math and physics usually take most time, especially math. Econ is quite easy thus far but it can get boring at times. All in all, Econ gives you enough room to focus on the 2 hard HLs and is I think a lot less overwhelming than if you had two HL sciences. Plus the gap betwen econ sl and hl is no where near that of chem sl and hl. Its basically the same with a math based P3.

Edited by samim