What additional topics are in Math HL comparing to SL

dksak12bj

There are roughly 36 school weeks in a year. You have 4 classes a week. Multiply that by 2 since you take the programme for two years and you get 288 hours, which is roughly 50 hours more than the recommended time give by IBO for the course. It's weird your school has more classes for SL, since usually SL classes have 3 lessons a week and HL classes have 4 a week. It might be due to the fact that the SL group needs more time to grasp new concepts and/or is bigger and therefore harder to teach. 

In my book (HL) from Cambridge there are 25 topics total, where as the SL books from the same publisher has 18. Whether that's how many additional topics there are for HL I do not know, but it might give you a rough idea. 

Hope that helps.

Maths HL and SL have the same core topics, however HL goes more in depth. Some of the differences I can think of between HL and SL core topics: 

- Algebra (SL doesn't do proof by induction and complex number), 

- Functions and equations (not sure but I think SL doesn't do factor and remainder theorem)

- Circular functions and trigonometry (SL doesn't do inverse functions),

- Vectors (SL doesn't do vector equations of a plane and intersection of line with a plane, 2 or 3),

- Statistics and probability (HL doesn't do box and whisker plots, frequency histogram, SL doesn't do Poisson distribution) 

-calculus (SL doesn't do intergration by substitution and Intergration by parts

Maths HL has to do at least one compulsory option: Statistics and probability, Sets, relations and groups, Calculus or Discrete maths. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ChocolateDrop said:

Maths HL and SL have the same core topics, however HL goes more in depth. Some of the differences I can think of between HL and SL core topics: 

- Algebra (SL doesn't do proof by induction and complex number), 

- Functions and equations (not sure but I think SL doesn't do factor and remainder theorem)

- Circular functions and trigonometry (SL doesn't do inverse functions),

- Vectors (SL doesn't do vector equations of a plane and intersection of line with a plane, 2 or 3),

- Statistics and probability (HL doesn't do box and whisker plots, frequency histogram, SL doesn't do Poisson distribution) 

-calculus (SL doesn't do intergration by substitution and Intergration by parts

Maths HL has to do at least one compulsory option: Statistics and probability, Sets, relations and groups, Calculus or Discrete maths. 

If I'm not mistaken, SL still does Integration by Substitution for Calculus (my teacher mentioned it would be one of the major things he'll be teaching for Integral Calculus).

As for Functions and Equations, yeah there is no factor or theorem remainder as we don't study polynomials in SL.