Biochemistry vs Health Science

Kroinky

Hello all, 

I am trying to decide whether to go into Health Sciences or Biochemistry at Ottawa U as a major next year.

I am interested in both but my biggest concern is pre reqs for Med School and how well it will prepare me for the MCAT. I heard the new MCAT is extremely heavy with Biochemistry... 

I like the idea of Health Sciences but I think it focuses too much on the social aspects of Health, which won't be so necessary for MCAT, but I have room for electives.

Biochemistry on the hand feels much more intense and rigorous, not a lot of room for electives but enough to satisfy pre reqs. 

Which do you think I should choose ? I like both, but which one would help me get a better GPA, MCAT prep and all ?

Thank you ! 

According to this MCAT prep article:

The first two sections of the new MCAT...would benefit from...a 1 semester introductory-level college course in biochemistry. Though it is true that some biochemistry courses string out basic metabolism over 2 semesters, you should not take a 2nd semester of biochemistry solely for your MCAT preparation. This is generally a case where independent study is more practical and efficient. Consider discussing these issues with your premed advisor.

Don't take a whole major in biochemistry just to fulfill MCAT. If you like Health Sciences better and think you will get higher marks in it, than go with that, and just be sure to take a biochem course while you're doing it.

There's a similar thing here in NZ where you do either Health Sciences or Biomedicine for your first year, and then you can apply to do Medicine after that year if your grades are good enough. I second what Thundercracker says - do what you find most enjoyable and what you think you'll score well in. You can always do biochemistry in your spare time/ask someone who is doing Biochemistry if they can lend you any resources they may have.

This isn't always practical, but you don't always need to think in terms of what's going to be tested. Focus on what interests you the most, and how it fits in with everything else you want to do.

• 5 years later...

It's a great profession. In general, I want to say that now it is very difficult to find a good doctor who would prescribe excellent treatment for you. But thank God I'm not sick because I take cbg products and I think it's an excellent remedy that will improve your immunity. You can go to the website and read about cbg benefits to find out how it works.