Help with Course Selection

CAIBSurvivor

I am currently a grade 11 IB student who is potentially going to pursue a career in medicine. I currently have Bio, Philosophy and Chem for HL. My school offers History HL and Philosophy SL and HL and I need to fill that one spot for an HL course and I don't know what to choose. I don't know how rigorous History and Philosophy HL but I need to choose one of the two, but I don't know which because I am more of a science-math person (though Math HL is.. yeah no) So please help! Thanks!

Bio, Philosophy, and Chemistry all at HL means you still need a literature (Group 1), acquiring language (Group 2), and math (Group 5). I assume you have decided upon these 3 classes. 

If you are truly good at/passionate about science and math I would recommend possibly math HL at least for a while (say 4 months), just so that you know what you are getting out of (missing out on??) and not just listening to other's perceptions. It would help tremendously with your study habits. To someone good at math, I would not say Math HL is harder or more demanding than History HL. I would assume that means Philosophy HL is the choice then. If you are good at Group 2 consider that as an HL as well. 

Yes! I forgot to say I am in Math SL, English SL (though my teacher wants me to consider HL) and French SL. In my school, we're given recommendations for which courses to take and I'd say I am happy with Math SL. Also the only option for Group 3 are Philosophy SL (HL they only started this year) and History HL, so I'd say my choices are limited. 

Edited by CAIBSurvivor

Chem and Bio HL sounds tough, but probably good if you want to go into medicine, so good luck!

My school doesn't offer Philosophy, but for History I'd say go for HL only if you have a passion for the subject, or else it's going to be hard memorizing things and writing all the papers.

I'm with kw on math HL. Try it out for a bit! It can get very interesting! Also, for English, take HL if you've read a lot and can find joy in writing.

Best of luck!

I don't know if you still need help, but I'm personally taking Chem, Bio, and History at HL. I don't know about Philosophy, but I'd say that both subjects are very content-based. To be honest, the combination is kind of annoying at the moment because there's so much to revise for final exams, but it's a very interesting course (at my school at least). I'd recommend you look into each course and see what interests you more.

I also agree with @Jaysun in that I'd recommend looking into English HL since the content difference isn't as severe between HL and SL whereas for History it's more severe. However, again, go for what you think you can a) do well in and b) enjoy (not necessarily in that order).

Good luck!