How to study/work

Charles_a

Well, in terms of history, I'd say know you content, and (for me) the easiest way to do that is the following in the following order.

Firstly, I'll make detailed notes for each topic. I usually divide them up by general essay plans (e.g. RTP of Hitler, Causes of WWI, etc.). If content from one section is relevant in other, I'll only have detailed notes for that topic (e.g. Treaty of Versailles) in one section of notes and then for the other notes, I'll make a note saying "see notes _____ for more details" whilst explaining the link between the essay plan and ToV. For example, the Treaty of Versailles is important in terms of the Weimar government but also Hitler's RTP and causes of World War II => therefore, I write details on it in terms of the Weimar government, and in the other two sets of notes, I'll just write how the ToV lead to Hitler's RTP/World War II.

Then, if I have time, I'll either make summary notes (I'm doing this for Chemistry at the moment) or (since I use the Cornell notes layout) write questions (for Biology) or important details (for History) in the sidebar. This'd be for my last minute revision before the exam so I just have something to glance over and have the illusion of helping me for an exam/giving some quick revision if I have free time and can be bothered.

From there on out it's about revising the content as much as possible. I'd recommend trying to explain things to someone - if you can concisely explain how (for example) Mao consolidated his power in the 1950s but then also give details... you know your stuff. If you find gaps in your knowledge, you know to go back to your notes.

Mainly, for history, in terms of studying/revision, I like to talk out what happens either chronologically or thematically. It'd be good to do it with a fellow history student too since they can correct you if needed.

Good luck! :)