Math SL or Math Studies?

mchabayta

I need help, I want to do engineering in uni but I need math SL, I'm having a very difficult time in math sl though and am feeling like dropping to studies. I'm hoping to go for a foundation year in uni if this plan works out but 'm not entirely sure if I should go for this or not so I need your help really badly on what I should do.

• Like 1

Since your exams are in May 2018, I'd suggest toughing it through Maths SL a little longer.

Just spend half an hour on it everyday -- you'll be amazed at how much you can improve just from doing this. Make a list of your weaknesses, then plow through the related exercises in your textbook. Once you're feeling more confident, tackle the related past paper questions. Ask your teacher for help/guidance. Use Khan Academy to help with explanations. Imo it's much more preferable to just spend a dozen or so extra hours in Maths SL over a 2 year course than having to go through a foundation year that you may not even need that much. So long as you get out with at least a 5/7 (which is super doable with a decent amount of effort), you should be in decent shape for engineering school. 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 2

I am in the same boat as you. I also have my Exams in May 2018, but in my school, we finish Math SL in one year (basically I finish it this year). Therefore, I have to do my Math SL IB Exam in May 2017 (Cries). Just like IB`ez, I would suggest staying in Math SL because most universities (depending on which one you're applying to) would definitely accept Math SL rather than Math Studies, at least that's what I have heard. 

I also asked my teacher recently about what to do because I believed I was failing and she just suggested on looking at the textbook, going on Khan Academy or trusted YouTube videos that help you understand concepts that you don't. Yes, spend 30 minutes to 1 hour, it does make a difference and absolutely DO. YOUR. HOMEWORK. I cannot stress that hard enough. It makes such a big difference because I used to not do the worksheets and workbook stuff, but now I do and I understand it more and I can ask my teacher about what I don't understand and ask other questions that are above the basic level, if you understand what I am saying. Definitely talk to your teacher about what they think is best for you and ask what kind of things you could do to help yourself and do better. Good luck!

• Like 1