Subject Switching, hopefully will be able to study math in the US?

Friedrich_Der_Grosse

Hey, 

I am new on this site, so sorry if this is the wrong board, or the question is a little dumb :P 

I just started the first year of the DP, and am taking Math, Physics and History HL, and Economics, English a langlit, and german a langlit SL.

I really want to study Mathematics in a good university in the US, and was wondering if I switch to Economics HL (im more of a statistics guy rather than physics guy), and Physics SL, and provided I take the Math 2 and physics SAT subject tests, would I still be able to do so... Switching History would be a shame bc its my fav. subject (lmao if the username wasn't a hint), and its almost like a distraction from the other subjects.

Also, is Physics SL significantly simpler than its HL counterpart??

So ya, recapitulating, is HL Math and Economics, SL physics , as well as a math 2 and physics subject test enough qualifications to study math, or M U S T i have HL physics, and would it make my diploma programme overall easier.

Cheers

Guest Positron

Go for it if you want – it doesn't make much of a difference for most US colleges.

Some specifically science-y ones (e.g. MIT) do require you to take the most rigorous STEM course load available – otherwise it will make little to no difference. US colleges don't usually admit you to a specific major, so your high school subjects just need to (1) make sense in terms of you overall profile and (2) show that you are academically qualified. 

Keep in mind, though, that Physics & Econ HL are both very light on math, so there won't be a big difference anyway.