KingA

So I'm currently a Junior and my subjects at HL are: Econ, Physics and Geo whereas in SL, it's Math, English Lang&Lit and French. My mid terms just came out and I got 5, 6, 6, 7, 4, 6 respectively which kind of bummed me off since I as expecting more. The reason I got a 4 in English is because I've been getting 5's and 6's but ended up getting a 4 for my FOA which weighed more. However, I got a 6 for my WT. Anyways. do I still have a shot at getting 38 or even 40 and above? (note that the grades I posted exclude TOK and EE, but I'm aiming for 2+ points in Core). Another problem I would like to ask is that do teachers in your school also kind of discourage you in  a way? For example, teachers at my school say it's nearly impossible to get a 7 and that I should be happy with my current grades. They keep on saying a 7 is very rare and they barely give 7's to anyone which makes me wonder if they'll purposely lower our predicted grades in order to avoid lower marks than the actual final grade  (to be safe since teachers are always under pressure to provide accurate predicted grades). 

I'd say it's definitely possible -- why not?

I got a 3,3,3,4,4,5 for my first term in junior year DP1, and my mid terms currently at senior year are 7, 7, 7, 6, 6 ,6 taking Bio, Chemistry, Economics HLs and English A, Indo B and Maths SLs.

Also, the English syllabus requires you to do 2x FOAs at the minimum, so you'll have another shot at getting it right. Furthermore, a 6 on your very first WT is super commendable! I also got a 4 for my first term in English Langlit, which after painstaking effort, I managed to turn into a 7 just recently. Couldn't believe it when I first saw it; it was the very first time I've gotten a 7 in english throughout my entire high school life. 

Your final exams are still a pretty long way and there's a lot of time for you to improve things. Where you are still early in the year is really decent and your teachers are right to an extent, they're really worth something. That said, a 7 isn't impossible for whatever subject provided a good amount of effort is inputted, so don't let the things your teacher say get to you. 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 5

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM, IB`ez said:

I'd say it's definitely possible -- why not?

I got a 3,3,3,4,4,5 for my first term in junior year DP1, and my mid terms currently at senior year are 7, 7, 7, 6, 6 ,6 taking Bio, Chemistry, Economics HLs and English A, Indo B and Maths SLs.

Also, the English syllabus requires you to do 2x FOAs at the minimum, so you'll have another shot at getting it right. Furthermore, a 6 on your very first WT is super commendable! I also got a 4 for my first term in English Langlit, which after painstaking effort, I managed to turn into a 7 just recently. Couldn't believe it when I first saw it; it was the very first time I've gotten a 7 in english throughout my entire high school life. 

Your final exams are still a pretty long way and there's a lot of time for you to improve things. Where you are still early in the year is really decent and your teachers are right to an extent, they're really worth something. That said, a 7 isn't impossible for whatever subject provided a good amount of effort is inputted, so don't let the things your teacher say get to you. 

Thank you for your motivation! I also hope my grades continue to improve thoughout the year and hopefully I can get a 40 by the end of ib 😂