English A LaL vs B HL

Sophiaa_x

Hi guys,

so for some time I have been wondering if I made the right decision. Currently, I am taking HL: History, Eng LaL and German B. The problem is, I am struggling a little bit with German and it takes a lot of time from my weekly schedule. I live in Poland, but have dual citizenship (Polish&British). Will universities such as Oxford, UCL, etc take me less seriously if I choose B over A Lal? I'm thinking of studying Law and/or Eastern Asian Studies and I know that it would be technically better if I take A, but at the same time it will be much harder for me to get even 6 from Lal and B would be definetely an easy 7 (+ I will have more time to focus on German and History)

Thanks for your help! <3<3 

Universities do not care as long as your subject combination meets the entrance requirement for the course. Definitely definitely definitely take the subject you believe will get you the highest grade, especially if you're going for Law where no subjects are required for admission. 

I am in the exact same situation. I have History, GloPo and English A Lang&Lit on HL, but English is not my first language so I'm struggling a lot, I'm the only one in the class whose first language is not English. I've been thinking about changing English A with English B, but I want to study Law in the UK, so I don't know if universities will like it or not. I think I can get 5 in English A, but in English B I can probably have 7. Also, I find English A quite interesting but it's really stressful.  Should I change it? 

On 10/22/2016 at 3:18 PM, bennet30 said:

I am in the exact same situation. I have History, GloPo and English A Lang&Lit on HL, but English is not my first language so I'm struggling a lot, I'm the only one in the class whose first language is not English. I've been thinking about changing English A with English B, but I want to study Law in the UK, so I don't know if universities will like it or not. I think I can get 5 in English A, but in English B I can probably have 7. Also, I find English A quite interesting but it's really stressful.  Should I change it? 

I am probably not the best person to answer this since Im the one who asked this question, BUT I must say that after asking my other friends who already finished IB, there is no point in taking English A UNLESS (a) you want to study English Lit (b) You are a native who is geniuely interested in the subject. Most universities care more about your overall grade and specific final grades from each of your subjects than if you did English A or B, especially when you have other language A already.

Hope that helps :) 

Edited by Sophiaa_x
  • Like 1