Is HL english as difficult as it sounds?

Hello everyone! 

For a while now, I've been considering switching up to HL English L/L (and droping Geo to SL as that is a subject I hate incredibly much). 

I've been talking to my classmates and friends and they say that english HL is really difficult to score well in and that it isn't worth it (as Geo apparently is a lot easier to acheive high marks in).

I talked to my english teacher about it and he said I should definitely do it, but since english isn't my first language and people who have english as their mothertongue say it's difficult I've just been getting a bit nervous.

(background info: 

IGCSE results: A in English Language, A in English Literature

and I've been getting 6/7s on my essays so far but idk if that's because my teacher likes me hahah) 

thank you soo much!!!

Hey there, 

So I'm definitely not an expert on the topic as I've started IB 2 months ago, but I do take English HL. It's a really enjoyable course and I like all the analysis and stuff. BUT I can definitely tell you that it's hard to get a decent score in English, especially when compared to Geography. Like I said, it's just the beginning of the year but when you get a 6 from a Paper 1 practice on which you spent hours at home, it kind of makes you wonder how well will you be able to do in the actual exam in 2 hours. 

Maybe it will get better, I don't know. But if you really want to take it and if you're very good at English, take it, work hard and you should be able to score a solid 6. (It isn't the classwork and course that is rigorous, but the grading boundaries and how good they expect us to do.)

• Like 1

There may be an ambiguity in words chosen. So you mean to ask about Language and Literature HL. The difficulty has nothing to do with the language of instruction (except for you know that only one Albanian class in the world where everyone gets 7s or something): whether you do it in English, French, Swedish it's all the same course. English HL (and any language HL) can also refer to Literature HL. Most people would say Literature HL is a harder course than Language and Literature HL. 

There doesn't appear to be a great difference in difficulty between SL and HL Geography, but certainly the difference in difficulty in the two levels of L/L is greater. What I mean is Geography SL/LL HL combo won't necessarily make your life easier.

EDIT: I see that you are taking 4 HLs. You can also just do 3HLs and switch Geography to SL.

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1

English LaL HL was hard when I took it during DP1. I mean, well, it was hard for me, but I know a couple of friends who wouldn't break a sweat averaging 7s in the course, whether it be with FOAs, Written Tasks, IOCs, or the external examination papers. That said, it was an extremely enjoyable course. The workload difference from SL to HL also isn't that much; over the course of 2 years, the only real difference is just doing two more books, and 1 more Written Task. 

If your IGCSE grades are really that good, then I strongly recommend you to take English A HL. It'll be an enjoyable experience, and it definitely doesn't look like you'll struggle in it. 

Edit: Why would you base the subjects you're learning over a 2 year course on how "easier it is to achieve high marks in"? I mean, it's one thing entirely if you're struggling in one subject or need certain subjects for a major requisite, but clearly you have more solid plans ahead already with your 3 other HLs. It's another thing if you're coping well but would still want an easier way out.

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IB`ez said:

Edit: Why would you base the subjects you're learning over a 2 year course on how "easier it is to achieve high marks in"? I mean, it's one thing entirely if you're struggling in one subject or need certain subjects for a major requisite, but clearly you have more solid plans ahead already with your 3 other HLs. It's another thing if you're coping well but would still want an easier way out.

Just a side note, I think OP meant that she doesn't like Geography and is wondering if it's worth to switch Lang/Lit to HL. I don't think OP is avoiding challenging courses as shown by her HL combo. I agree with her in that IB is not worth taking a course you hate if there are alternatives. @alexalexalex If you don't have 3HLs without geography, I think perhaps it would be wise to choose another Group 3 if you also aren't feeling quite comfortable to do Lang/Lit in HL. I would recommend Economics HL if that's offered because paper 3 and much of IA has lots of math, which may benefit you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

Just a side note, I think OP meant that she doesn't like Geography and is wondering if it's worth to switch Lang/Lit to HL. I don't think OP is avoiding challenging courses as shown by her HL combo. I agree with her in that IB is not worth taking a course you hate if there are alternatives. @alexalexalex If you don't have 3HLs without geography, I think perhaps it would be wise to choose another Group 3 if you also aren't feeling quite comfortable to do Lang/Lit in HL. I would recommend Economics HL if that's offered because paper 3 and much of IA has lots of math, which may benefit you. 

Fair enough, just thought (and I might be wrong) the inclination towards HL English may be too motivated by attaining marks.

Just another side note and clarification for the OP: I think there was some study that proves already having English as a mother tongue doesn't necessarily make you better at English than those who learn it as a second language (definitely not the case with a lot of people I know, but that may just be personal experience and debatable; still, don't let it bother you that English is your 2nd language). Also, it's true Economics HL has algebraic maths in Paper 3 (Paper 1 & Paper 2 are extended response questions that from what I've heard is similar to Geography), but no Maths at all in the IAs.

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IB`ez said:

Also, it's true Economics HL has algebraic maths in Paper 3 (Paper 1 & Paper 2 are extended response questions that from what I've heard is similar to Geography), but no Maths at all in the IAs.

Yes, so you are right not much math in a commentary. I would say Economics P1/P2 are not similar to Geography because in geo you have to memorize facts for the structured short answers, then memorize at least 5-6 case studies (even more for HL) for extended response. I would say that Group 1s have the benefit where after you study 2-3 works, you do the corresponding assessment, then you are done, don't have to worry about them again. They are the classes with shortest time lapse between when you learn something and when you get assessed by IB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

Yes, so you are right not much math in a commentary. I would say Economics P1/P2 are not similar to Geography because in geo you have to memorize facts for the structured short answers, then memorize at least 5-6 case studies (even more for HL) for extended response. I would say that Group 1s have the benefit where after you study 2-3 works, you do the corresponding assessment, then you are done, don't have to worry about them again. They are the classes with shortest time lapse between when you learn something and when you get assessed by IB. 

Ah, that's interesting, my mistake.

My two cents on what you said last though: A short time lapse does mean less stress in the end because you can forget about it, but I guess I didn't see it that way. Facing the IOC so early on made me panic a lot. That said, because Group 1 IAs tend to be finished sooner (IOC, Written Task 1s, and your first FOA usually done in the first year) would free you up for more time later in the course for other subjects' IAs/EE/TOK.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sselinokcu said:

Hey there, 

So I'm definitely not an expert on the topic as I've started IB 2 months ago, but I do take English HL. It's a really enjoyable course and I like all the analysis and stuff. BUT I can definitely tell you that it's hard to get a decent score in English, especially when compared to Geography. Like I said, it's just the beginning of the year but when you get a 6 from a Paper 1 practice on which you spent hours at home, it kind of makes you wonder how well will you be able to do in the actual exam in 2 hours. 

Maybe it will get better, I don't know. But if you really want to take it and if you're very good at English, take it, work hard and you should be able to score a solid 6. (It isn't the classwork and course that is rigorous, but the grading boundaries and how good they expect us to do.)

7 hours ago, IB`ez said:

Ah, that's interesting, my mistake.

My two cents on what you said last though: A short time lapse does mean less stress in the end because you can forget about it, but I guess I didn't see it that way. Facing the IOC so early on made me panic a lot. That said, because Group 1 IAs tend to be finished sooner (IOC, Written Task 1s, and your first FOA usually done in the first year) would free you up for more time later in the course for other subjects' IAs/EE/TOK.

7 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Thank you all so so much for your answers!!!

Just to clear up with one of the things that were brought up by one of you, the reason I am discussing grades is because I consider my course combination to already be quite challenging and the reason of this post was to make sure/ask whether taking on English L/L HL was an unneccessary addition to my workload (as I do not want to study anything related to english (which, my bad, I should have brought up in my original post)).

either way, again, thank you so much! I still need to think a bit about it but I really appreciate all of the answers!