cdc

The school I'm going to right now is pretty new, our class is going to be the first graduates for the school. So, a new school means no experience, and you can see that with no Math HL offered to students. Well, they actually do now, but last year when I was in DP 1, they didn't offer Math HL, but then they started when I was my second year DP 2. And I wanted to do Engineering, and the university which I want to go to (Technical University of Denmark) accepts IB students who have Physics HL and Math HL. 

So you can see the problem, I don't have Math HL because the school can't offer it and it's not my fault. But I really want to go that university. Has anyone experience this before? Maybe by having a 7 in Math SL would do?

I need help.

THANKS!

3 hours ago, cdc said:

The school I'm going to right now is pretty new, our class is going to be the first graduates for the school. So, a new school means no experience, and you can see that with no Math HL offered to students. Well, they actually do now, but last year when I was in DP 1, they didn't offer Math HL, but then they started when I was my second year DP 2. And I wanted to do Engineering, and the university which I want to go to (Technical University of Denmark) accepts IB students who have Physics HL and Math HL. 

So you can see the problem, I don't have Math HL because the school can't offer it and it's not my fault. But I really want to go that university. Has anyone experience this before? Maybe by having a 7 in Math SL would do?

I need help.

THANKS!

Like Emilia said, it depends on the university. I do have friends who got into engineering with math SL. 

10 hours ago, Emilia1320 said:

It depends on the university. Its more likely than not that they won't make an exception for you, but you should ask them. Maybe do self-taught math HL? That's what I'm doing, and it has worked out very well for me.

I've talked with the university about my situation and they told me to just write an application and just hope that they would accept me. 

Second thing, I cannot start self taught or online course for math HL in the second year. My coordinator says that I wont be able to fill up my class hours in just 1 year. 

• 1 year later...

sorry this may be late, but you can take a course in the summer in DTU in mathematics, or anywhere in general, and upgrade to math A, its going to be all in danish, but it is the only answer, OR i think you could contact another IB school and ask if you could take the march exams in math HL at their place. 

2 hours ago, hajar said:

sorry this may be late, but you can take a course in the summer in DTU in mathematics, or anywhere in general, and upgrade to math A, its going to be all in danish, but it is the only answer, OR i think you could contact another IB school and ask if you could take the march exams in math HL at their place. 

It has been more than a year!! haha.

I solved this problem by taking a math supplementary course in cambridge which the university accepts. It's all good now. :)

• 2 years later...
On 12/11/2017 at 12:32 PM, cdc said:

It has been more than a year!! haha.

I solved this problem by taking a math supplementary course in cambridge which the university accepts. It's all good now. :)

Hey man, I’m going through the same problem, I have physics HL but Math SL and I don’t know what to do, I really wanna do engineering but I can’t find a solution...I know it’s three years later but you might still remember, thanks

1 hour ago, Dccb said:

Hey man, I’m going through the same problem, I have physics HL but Math SL and I don’t know what to do, I really wanna do engineering but I can’t find a solution...I know it’s three years later but you might still remember, thanks

It's been 4 years. Damn. IB is never going to leave me along is it? And for some reason I'm still getting emails about this post I made.

Anyways, as mentioned in my comment, I solved the problem by taking supplementary courses after I finished high school. You have to talk with the admissions office of the university that you want to get into to know which course is accepted or not. I'm pretty sure you can even take an online class too. Good luck.

2 minutes ago, cdc said:

It's been 4 years. Damn. IB is never going to leave me along is it? And for some reason I'm still getting emails about this post I made.

Anyways, as mentioned in my comment, I solved the problem by taking supplementary courses after I finished high school. You have to talk with the admissions office of the university that you want to get into to know which course is accepted or not. I'm pretty sure you can even take an online class too. Good luck.

I can’t believe you answered after 4 years thanks a lot, how long did your supplementary courses last (like did you enter uni the next September?), and how hard were they?

4 minutes ago, cdc said:

Sorry to bother after 4 years hahah, but how long did these supplementary courses last? (Like did you enter the next September or over the summer??) and also...how hard were they?

2 hours ago, Dccccb said:

Sorry to bother after 4 years hahah, but how long did these supplementary courses last? (Like did you enter the next September or over the summer??) and also...how hard were they?

Not a problem. It's possible to take supplementary courses over the summer. But what I did is to take it a while after I finished IB so I also took a gap year. The courses that I took weren't that hard.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:59 AM, cdc said:

Not a problem. It's possible to take supplementary courses over the summer. But what I did is to take it a while after I finished IB so I also took a gap year. The courses that I took weren't that hard.

I was looking to taking a gap year for my year before university.

Can it hamper my applications process if I'm a gap year student?