Hi fellow IB students, 

I reaallyyy need you help!!

I was told today that my BIO IA is too easy to be an IB IA. My project is on weather different concentration of soap better eliminate or kill bacteria found on our hands. Since it was too easy we started talking about changing my project to finding out how long does it take for bacteria to be eliminate on a wet rag put in a microwave (it is known that that method eliminates bacteria). However since that study has been done before I would have to add another factor... We thought about putting it in a microwave where we can adjust the temperature however I don't have it and it would be a hassle to have to by a new microwave. We also considered seeing what affect soap would have on that process but that was shot down... 

WHAT DO I DO!!??!! 

Would really appreciate any suggestions! Thank you! :)

Fellow IB student.

Well, mine was on how different concentration of inhibitors influenced enzyme activity. Still got a decent score. 

I doubt your subject is "too easy". I had few friends do similar subjects, and they did pretty well on them, too. Go with the one you feel comfortable with; as in, more realistic, easy for you to control and evaluate. Tbh, most experiments are barely original. They don't seem to care that much.  Really, what really matters is how well you write up your IA. 

Hello :)

Your original IA idea sounded good too! The Bio IA more focuses on the written report than the actual experiment. You can have a great experiment, but if your report sucks, then so is your IA. However, a decent experiment with a report that hits all the criteria points that the IB requires can get you high marks! My experiment was easily considered an "over-done" experiment, but my report closely followed the IB Criteria. Ended up with a 7 for the subject :)

If you need any ideas, PM me and I'll get back to you. Any other help with IB Bio, I'm there as well!

Edited by MyIB Biology
  • Like 1