will math studies hurt my chances?

artist

Hi guys!

Do you think doing maths studies will hurt my chances of getting into top universities, for an art & design degree? 

And is it better to get a 7 in maths studies or a 5/6 in maths SL? 

I think id be able to get 5/6 in SL if I work hard, but I'm wondering if I should take studies to be able to focus more on my Art HL...

I was in IB MYP extended before, but wasn't one of the strongest ones in my class...

subjects:

Art HL

English HL

ITGS HL

Physics SL

French AB initio

Maths SL (thinking about studies)

let me know what you think? thanks!

Edited by artist

For an Art & Design Degree, I doubt taking Maths Studies will hurt that much (if at all).

That said, for any other kind of degree (especially in the UK), even a 5 in Maths SL is better than a 7 in Maths Studies (same goes for a 5 in Maths HL vs in Maths SL).

A senior graduate of mine who took almost exactly the same subjects as you (Biology SL and Mandarin Ab Initio being the differences) got into a really nice Art school in Canada with Maths Studies.

I've heard the same... 

Some universities ask for HL math ("if you get a 5 in SL math or up it counts as it would be a HL class" - UCL university) 

It depends what university. If it is only humanitarian based (only creative writing, art, language) I doubt you need anything more than math studies.

If it is a mixed one with sciences and humanitarian degrees (the ones that you can become an engineer or a art historian) than it could have that requirement again...

On 22/10/2016 at 5:21 PM, artist said:

Hi guys!

Do you think doing maths studies will hurt my chances of getting into top universities, for an art & design degree? 

And is it better to get a 7 in maths studies or a 5/6 in maths SL? 

I think id be able to get 5/6 in SL if I work hard, but I'm wondering if I should take studies to be able to focus more on my Art HL...

I was in IB MYP extended before, but wasn't one of the strongest ones in my class...

subjects:

Art HL

English HL

ITGS HL

Physics SL

French AB initio

Maths SL (thinking about studies)

let me know what you think? thanks!

I'm in the exact position as you and was also in IB MYP before...It's been 2 months since I started with Math SL and ended up struggling miserably. Since I take IB Art HL, it takes a lot of my time. I'm also contemplating whether to switch to studies or continue with Math SL. Only problem being whether an Art University in USA might not recognise Math Studies. 

I think you should do Math SL if you think you're capable of doing so. I'm in Studies, but that's only because I'm genuinely awful at maths, I'm good at English/History/essay-based subjects, but any type of math grosses me out and if I know that I would get a 2 if I tried studying Math SL. Having that said, Math SL looks better and more academic and I'd recommend you doing it. If you can't cope with it, you can always drop to studies later. 

• Like 1

I'm applying for universities in the Netherlands to do an International Business Bachelors Degree (taught in English). I've learned that Maths Studies is frowned upon but is also not a complete barrier to applying. If you have a predicted 6 or 7 they may ask you to take a further test or provide examples of course work.

Seeing that you are not planning to apply Math based faculty, I believe that Math Studies won't affect your entry chances, even in the prestigious Universities. However, as @beth- mentioned, you always can drop from SL to studies, while otherwise is not very easy. Hence, I think you need to give a chance to Standard Level Math. If you see that you spend too much time on that, o r do not get decent grades, then you can switch it. :) 

Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

hi all! thanks for your replies!

I'm currently studying for midyears, and for all my past math tests in sl, I've been getting 3 and 4... its the only subject that is really stressing me out! I really want to apply to top universities like NYU and uni of toronto, and both of them have told me that they do not look at math for arts courses, however, everyone is always saying how maths studies is frowned upon, and everyone looks down on it. but sl is torture, just because I have no interest in it.. 

also, I dropped physics and took ESS and I went from a 2 to a 5 in my first test (after having missed 2 months of the course)

If you are applying  to the UK or high ranked US unis hence the ivy leagues, MIT etc.....Math Studies could really hurt your chances especially when you competing with very competent students from all over the world. For US unis, if you do great in the ACT/SAT tests then Math studies wouldnt hurt too much but once again most of the people scoring highly om these tests and applying to the top unis are probably doing AP classes or Math SL and even HL.

BTW in the US, I think a 5 in Math HL gives you credits and is better than a 6/7 in Math Sl not to mention Studies. This is because you are then likely to be prepared to do well and keep up with the structure of these Top unis whereby they really push their students to do well. Plus if you are getting 7s in Math SL or 5s in Math HL...the ACT/SAT Math test with some practice will be very easy to you.

Edited by samim

On December 26, 2016 at 0:33 AM, samim said:

If you are applying  to the UK or high ranked US unis hence the ivy leagues, MIT etc.....Math Studies could really hurt your chances especially when you competing with very competent students from all over the world. For US unis, if you do great in the ACT/SAT tests then Math studies wouldnt hurt too much but once again most of the people scoring highly om these tests and applying to the top unis are probably doing AP classes or Math SL and even HL.

BTW in the US, I think a 5 in Math HL gives you credits and is better than a 6/7 in Math Sl not to mention Studies. This is because you are then likely to be prepared to do well and keep up with the structure of these Top unis whereby they really push their students to do well. Plus if you are getting 7s in Math SL or 5s in Math HL...the ACT/SAT Math test with some practice will be very easy to you.

Thanks for your reply, but the thing is I don't think anyone applying to Arts and design courses, which I will be applying to, is going to take math hl, many don't even take any maths to begin with (as they could be attending arts high schools), even talking with top unis like Uni of Toronto, and NYU, its very dependant on what course you are interested in, like for anything remotely related to math, yes math studies would NOT be a good choice, but since my course will not have anything to do with maths...