Jhon

Stay in Maths SL or Studies  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Stay in Maths SL or Studies

i am interested in the Bussines and Management course in the UK I am currently doing my IB DP course and i look at some requirements. But i have some questions which someone can help me

I am currently taking 

HL Bussines and management

HL Economics

HL Computer Science

SL French

SL English

SL Math

And my question is I’m doing SL math right now but i was considering Maths studies. And if i do math studies can i still apply UK universities because im feeling SL math is hard and i think if i do studies i will easily get a 6 or 7 making my IB points go higher and also i can focus on my HL subjects and get them at a higher level at around 6-7

What do you guys recommend 

Thanks A lot,

Edited by Jhon
fixing title

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, 

As you said, your overall grades do matter a lot when applying to universities so getting a 40 (with all those 6 and 7s) is really worth it. However, if you want to apply to UK universities, I do not think SSL is a great idea. This is because universities in the UK put great emphasis on your academics as against your other activities and they want you to know a lot (Google STEP mathematics) before applying to them. Having Math SL will also help you develop your own thinking skills and trust me (I'm Math HL) math does help a lot in other fields (like Business Management). However, do check out the specific university requirements and contact them as soon as you can. They might ask you to do an extra exam if you take SSL, but this won't bug you since you can then concentrate on getting a high IBDP score and then prepare for their additional exams. 

Hope this helps :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jhon said:

Thanks alot IBTopper i have contacted my universities eg. Bath University , Kings College. And they said they do accept maths studies

I would still consider staying in SL if you're not struggling majorly, because there's a fair amount of maths involved in B&M.  I you are struggling majorly, then go down to studies. 

• Like 2

It seems like a lot of people assume that Maths Studies is automatically a "6 or a 7".

I don't take Maths Studies but knowing a lot of people who take it, as well as having gone through their syllabus (as I previously considered taking it but didn't), it's still a decent amount of work on your part. More so if you're even slightly struggling in SL. 

A lot of people I know who did alright in Maths SL and only started to struggle in DP2, then dropped down to Maths Studies, also still have problems in SL as there's different content coverage e.g. cubic polynomials and slightly different question formats. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2016 at 2:37 PM, Jhon said:

i am interested in the Bussines and Management course in the UK I am currently doing my IB DP course and i look at some requirements. But i have some questions which someone can help me

I am currently taking 

HL Bussines and management

HL Economics

HL Computer Science

SL French

SL English

SL Math

And my question is I’m doing SL math right now but i was considering Maths studies. And if i do math studies can i still apply UK universities because im feeling SL math is hard and i think if i do studies i will easily get a 6 or 7 making my IB points go higher and also i can focus on my HL subjects and get them at a higher level at around 6-7

What do you guys recommend 

Thanks A lot,

Maths Studies shouldn't hinder your application much, except at certain universities like Manchester etc, for example. You can get into Business degrees in the UK without even studying maths at A level. I've personally went to school with some of the people who didn't do Maths A level at all and witnessed them get accepted to study various business degrees at universities (Russell Group, prestigious universities etc). If you don't have Maths at the A level/ IB standard the universities look to see that you had a high GCSE or pre-IB grade in Maths.

However not ALL universities will accept a candidate with Maths Studies for business. But at the end of the day you only get to apply to 5 universities maximum. I'd encourage you to continue doing research and find which universities you're aiming for, what they're subject/ overall IB score requirements are and make your decision from there.

I'd personally recommend you to go for what would maximize your chances of getting the highest overall IB score. If it's dropping to Maths Studies to focus more on your HLs then go for it, don't think you'll automatically be disadvantaged because of it. 

• Like 1