How much does doing an extended essay based something not in the syllabus affect your grade?

JesseWilkins

I have read conflicting accounts on the level that your math ee should be on. Some said the level of your class or beyond. Some say only do what is in your syllabus. 

I was thinking of doing something with Fourier transform and music (some other application really) or Taylor Series with an application. But I am not sure whether this would be too advanced. I also heard if your topic is too advanced you risk failing it is this true?

Edited by JesseWilkins

The only thing with doing math outside of SL (you are taking SL?) is that you should ensure you know exactly what you are doing. Some people try to learn math on their own and cannot quite understand what they are talking about. Because EE is not marked differently whether you take SL, HL or do not take the course, you may be expected to use math beyond what is expected for a typical SL IA. There is no penalty for doing math beyond syllabus as long as you explain everything coherently and clearly, but there will be marks taken off if your EE does not meet the expected level of complexity.