RachelDarma

Hi guys, I recently got back my SAT scores. It's a bit upsetting if I'm being honest. I got 1320/1600 which is equivalent to 1850/2400 in the old SAT. My highest I have ever gotten in my old SAT is 1860. I've taken the SAT 4 times already and that seems to be my highest point. I know it's not very good. I'm usually better in English so I find it very odd that it was my English scores that failed me and my math that saved me in my new SAT considering how bad I am in math. To put it into comparison, my old SAT math was 590/800 whereas my new one is 650/800 (in old SAT standards) I don't want to take the SAT again because i heard that taking it too many times isn't good either. If I could superscore my old and new SAT I would get 1920. But well, you can't do that. I read from somewhere though, that I should send my highest old SAT and highest new SAT so though the university can't superscore them, my low math scores in the old SAT could be somewhat 'compensated' by my math scores in the new SAT so at least they see I'm not completely terrible in math. What do you guys think? Is that true?

• 2 weeks later...

have you ever tried tutoring or test taking strategies? I'm terrible at standardized testing, but though strategies and test taking skills I was able to raise my score. I know taking the SAT sucks and having to take it a 5th time doesn't sound appealing, but maybe try doing that to get your scores up. I don't know if if the two separate scores thing is true, but it seems like a good idea. If you have a college counselor or school adviser, I would ask them. 

• 1 month later...

You actually have done very well for yourself, a 1320/1600 actually equates to about 2000 in the old SAT as you times the figure by 1.5. This score is more than enough to get into any state college in the US, and is quite good for many other top tier unis. But as you will be an international student I recommend going to a cheap state school to save your parents tuition fees, as at the end of the day it's a degree that looks the same for every uni other than a different school name.

@Iyragirl0018 Yes I've tried taking strategies but I'm afraid I'm just not the smartest person :/ In my heart I know I should probably take it a 5th time but since it's the end of December, it's a little too late for that. Thanks anyways!

@Rory Peel I wish it was calculated like that :( But it isn't. I directly calculated it from the collegeboard website and my highest is truly 1860. I do want to save my parents' money but they can afford any tuition costs (I know, I'm really lucky) as long as its worth it. So they're not going to send me abroad for a very mediocre university. I have to get in to the top 100 word wide at least. And they said if I'm coming back to my country after uni, they said a good American university name will make it easier to get a job. Thanks for your input though!

Some universities won't be able to see how many SAT tests you've taken unless you self-report it or they demand that you send all your SAT scores. If you don't mind paying a $30 late fee, as a last resort you can sign up for the January 21 SAT. You'll have to really work towards improving your score by about 40 points at the very least though – not easy, but doable within the 3 and a half weeks you have from now. 

What schools specifically are you looking at? 1320/1600 gets you into a good many places already, and my counsellor informed me that based on his past experiences as an admissions officer, the average scores you usually see online are meant for domestic students – international students can be about 10-20 points below the "average" score and be completely fine (not 100% sure for all schools though).

@IB' ez thanks for your input! I'll definitely consider it but with all the essays I still have to make, it'll be a tough call. And I thought that it would actually be harder for international students since American unis are obliged to take in more American students right? I'm not sure about that either.

Some of my schools are alright, but some are pretty reach.

I'm looking at: USC, most UC schools, University of Washington at Seattle, Pepperdine, NYU, Boston University, and Boston College. 

My GPA for my predicted grade is alright though. 4.44/5 is decent I guess? I got a predicted 40. I know some schools are a reach but I think I have a fighting chance for UofWashington, Pepperdine, and Boston U.

28 minutes ago, RachelDarma said:

@IB' ez thanks for your input! I'll definitely consider it but with all the essays I still have to make, it'll be a tough call. And I thought that it would actually be harder for international students since American unis are obliged to take in more American students right? I'm not sure about that either.

Some of my schools are alright, but some are pretty reach.

I'm looking at: USC, most UC schools, University of Washington at Seattle, Pepperdine, NYU, Boston University, and Boston College. 

My GPA for my predicted grade is alright though. 4.44/5 is decent I guess? I got a predicted 40. I know some schools are a reach but I think I have a fighting chance for UofWashington, Pepperdine, and Boston U.

Yeah I'm not too sure either, but it's something he kept insisting on whenever I bring up my measly SAT scores XD 

For all those universities I think your SAT score of 1320 is passable. It won't put you in the average percentiles for UC Berkeley or UCLA (assuming you're applying to them), but backed by a predicted 40, you'll still have a decent chance considering their average DP scores of 38 – and they're reach universities after all. But similarly, you'd have wayyyyyy more than a fighting chance for Boston U, which only has an average of 34. (source: http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/5895a05412144fe890312bad52b17044/recognition---international-student-guide-us--march2016---eng.pdf.pdf)

Good luck with your applications! 

9 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

Yeah I'm not too sure either, but it's something he kept insisting on whenever I bring up my measly SAT scores XD 

For all those universities I think your SAT score of 1320 is passable. It won't put you in the average percentiles for UC Berkeley or UCLA (assuming you're applying to them), but backed by a predicted 40, you'll still have a decent chance considering their average DP scores of 38 – and they're reach universities after all. But similarly, you'd have wayyyyyy more than a fighting chance for Boston U, which only has an average of 34. (source: http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/5895a05412144fe890312bad52b17044/recognition---international-student-guide-us--march2016---eng.pdf.pdf)

Good luck with your applications! 

Hmm you're right. Thanks for being super about this! May I also ask, are you also applying for uni next year?