Predicted grades importance

matbla

Hey, I have a question about predicted grades importance- namely if I get a predicted 5 from my English Lang Lit course and I believe that I can score higher at the final exam (6, I guess) how does it affect the university admission? Is it based only on the predicted grades or on the final grades as well? I am afraid that my teacher doesn't like me and it makes me worried about my uni choice...

I am still an IB 1 student so it is only a kind of prophesy but I have this feeling that she (the teacher) isn't impressed with my language skills :Pso...

P.S. If something isn't clear, say it, as I am kind of exhausted and usually if i am so, the coherency and quality of my writing can be doubted ;)

You didn't specify what country you're applying to, but for UK universities, it's based on your predicted grades and the final ones. In some instances, you may get an unconditional offer and in those cases, it doesn't matter what you grade you receive on your finals, you'll still be accepted to their university based on your predicted grades. American universities rarely give conditional offers and it's typically based on ACT/SAT scores and your predicted grades and your extracurriculars and a range of other factors.

I see that you're Polish, and I can't comment on Polish universites, unfortunately. But, predicted grades do matter - some students even argue that they're as important as your final ones or even more so.

It's really only important if the schools you're applying to require them e.g. UK universities, most US/Canada universities, and probably Asian universities (not too sure about the last bit) 

Some of my friends are applying to US schools that don't even ask for predicted grades e.g. University of Minnesota, so for some people it actually won't matter what their predicted grades are. 

If you are anxious about predicted grades (and you know you'll need them for where you're applying), I strongly suggest you talk to your teacher about them, even if you don't think they like you that much. By doing so, you'll have a better idea of what their expectations are, discuss with them on how you can improve your predicted grades etc.

Thanks for answering, i appreciate it! I am thinking of doing law in England and this is the main reason I'm asking about predicted grades (in Poland they don't really matter). If I understand you properly, in most of cases what you get is a conditional offer, considering the final grades as well. Beth, am i right?
"I strongly suggest you talk to your teacher about them, even if you don't think they like you that much" - I have actually talked to my english teacher and she suggested that it will be more probable to get a 5 rather than a higher grade (it was only an informal conversation) and it makes me really anxious, as the course is rather simple (I thought of a 6). 

On 30/10/2016 at 9:34 PM, matbla said:

If I understand you properly, in most of cases what you get is a conditional offer, considering the final grades as well. Beth, am i right?

Yup! If you receive a conditional offer, your place at the university is confirmed should you meet the requirements of the offer (Though there may be some leeway should you not meet the requirements, but don't count on this). The requirements of the offer are your final grades - either your overall final grade, or subject-specific grades, or both.

On 10/30/2016 at 1:34 PM, matbla said:

Thanks for answering, i appreciate it! I am thinking of doing law in England and this is the main reason I'm asking about predicted grades (in Poland they don't really matter). If I understand you properly, in most of cases what you get is a conditional offer, considering the final grades as well. Beth, am i right?
"I strongly suggest you talk to your teacher about them, even if you don't think they like you that much" - I have actually talked to my english teacher and she suggested that it will be more probable to get a 5 rather than a higher grade (it was only an informal conversation) and it makes me really anxious, as the course is rather simple (I thought of a 6). 

The offer is given based on your predicted grades, not the final ones. E.g. if you apply to, say, University of Birmingham, you will apply with your predicted grades, if they like your application, they will give you a conditional offer, and if you meet their requirements with your final grades, you'll get a place. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...