Pre-IB Test

IBBB

Ok, so I really want to get into the IB program at my local high school. It is a top-ranked school and I feel like it will really give me a challenge.

The problem is that unfortunately there is an entrance test and I will have lots of competition (they take 100 students out of 1000 I believe).

I’ve heard that the test is similar to a CAT test (Canadian Achievement Test), but I have no experience with tests of that sort. It has literacy and numeracy on it.

Could anyone please tell me how hard the test was for you (at your school, if there was a test),if you studied, what you studied and maybe some helpful tips?

If it helps, I currently have an 88% average.

If the test is similar to a CAT exam, I must stress this: It isn't possible to prepare for it. I studied for it, but it didn't give any advantage.

The mathematics that appears on the exam will be nothing new and will be material you have covered in the syllabus. Expect to see quite a lot of basic algebra and geometry, along with some trigonometry.

As for the literacy section, it will be mostly testing your reading comprehension along with vocabulary and grammar. Brush up on your grammar and figurative language!

I'm not sure if this will appear in your scenario, but I was given some logic questions. For example, there were some paper folding questions and trying to determine a pattern.

Keep in mind that the school's primary reason for this entry exam isn't for them to gauge your academic ability. That's why they use your average. They're trying to see how well you will cope under a stressful environment- something that you must get used to in high school, and not just the IB program.

• Like 1

I have quite a lot of experiences with the issue as i did my pre-ib in two schools! I changed schools during the year as i didn't like the previous one (heh). I don't know much about those CAT tests but both of the schools i attended are quite prestigious. I got into the first one because of being a laureate in a social-studies competition (double heh) and to the second one after an interview (based on my grades from the first semester. Making long story short, the material in pre-ib is relatively easy, especially that you're a native speaker, so if you work hard (heh again) there will be no problem at all! Good luck :)   

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies!

Also...

3 minutes ago, Empiral said:

Does this school happen to be Bayview by any chance

I was going to apply to Bayview, but they have strict rules about being a student within the YRDSB, and I'm not. Instead I'm applying to a school in the YCDSB.

Edited by IBBB

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 7:23 PM, IBBB said:

Thank you all for your replies!

Also...

I was going to apply to Bayview, but they have strict rules about being a student within the YRDSB, and I'm not. Instead I'm applying to a school in the YCDSB.

I suppose you took the test for St. Robs as well!!! It wasn't too hard wasn't it, just really time consuming. Best of luck to you.

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM, ovoxo_say1 said:

I suppose you took the test for St. Robs as well!!! It wasn't too hard wasn't it, just really time consuming. Best of luck to you.

Hey! Yes, I did. I just got a letter and I was accepted (yay!). How did you do? 

• Like 1