Edinbourgh Law

matbla

Hey, I've just read here that the requirements for Law at Edinburgh are "34 points overall and grades 655 in HL subjects including English" which is pretty easy to score. Simultaneously I've read that the typical offer is 43 points (grades 776 at HL) which is extremely hard to get. Isn't it more than the required points for the LSE, KCL and Oxford? How should I understand it? Is it that the official requirements are usually lowered and the typical offer is about 45 points ;) or, that Edinburgh put some unrealistic grades as the typical offer? I find it highly unlikely that it is harder to get into the University od Edinburgh than to the prestigious english universities...

Those are the minimal entry requirements. If many people with scores over 38 apply, the "average" offer will naturally increase. 

Worth mentioning is the fact that Edinburgh is a very prestigious university as well, and the competition for subjects such as law or medicine is very high ;) 

Sure, I know that it is prestigious but still 43 points... :D It simply makes my a bit scared as i estimate my future results to be around 38 points, and was kind of counting on KCL/LSE and now, i see that even the prestigious Edinburgh (heh) is not manageable...

Ok yeah that typical offer being 43 points also got to me, even for business of all majors; imbeciles over there probably just spammed that "typical offer" for all their majors without a second thought. I mean, there's less than 800 people each May session getting 43 points or above and you're telling everyone that they all applied to your school?

In any case it really seems to be just bullsh**. I know several people who were admitted into Biomedical Science, Biotechnology and more rigorous majors than business yet given conditional offers as low as 34 points and rarely higher than 38 points.

That said, getting 34 points with 665 at HLs still isn't "pretty easy to score". But if you're already getting a little over that, then you'll definitely have a good chance at entering Edinbrugh University. 

Edited by IB`ez

4 hours ago, IB`ez said:

Ok yeah that typical offer being 43 points also got to me, even for business of all majors; imbeciles over there probably just spammed that "typical offer" for all their majors without a second thought. I mean, there's less than 800 people each May session getting 43 points or above and you're telling everyone that they all applied to your school?

In any case it really seems to be just bullsh**. I know several people who were admitted into Biomedical Science, Biotechnology and more rigorous majors than business yet given conditional offers as low as 34 points and rarely higher than 38 points.

That said, getting 34 points with 665 at HLs still isn't "pretty easy to score". But if you're already getting a little over that, then you'll definitely have a good chance at entering Edinbrugh University. 

What I meant is relatively easy ;)

1 hour ago, beth- said:

I know people studying at Edinburgh with 35 IB points. Medicine and Law are typically competitive, though, so you should try to get above 37+. 

I am rather thinking about studying law in England but Edinburgh is in a way fascinating (I'm considering applying there but not as 'first choice') and when doing research on the possible unis, I found those "typical offers" it looked kind of...ambiguous.